Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My "Orangeburg Coil" Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 918Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
232 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gslaten to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this cover as a gift from a grateful employee when I left my company for greener pastures 34 years ago. I thanked him for it and put it away. A few years ago I learned about the "Orangeburg Coil", and the cover that was in the Zoellner collection. After viewing a photo of that cover, I thought it looked a bit familiar and went back and took a look at my cover. Rats, similar but not the same. Wrong stamp! There is nothing on the back of the cover.

I suspect this cover is a fake, but would appreciate feedback from the experts on this forum. What I know is that according to the pencil marks it is supposed to be a US Scott 388. The stamp does appear to be perf 12. I do not know what the watermark is, the cancel is not wavy like other Orangeburg cancels, the year is missing from the cancel (removed?), and I am sure there are other problems.

I would appreciate any comments you care to make.

Gary

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fake.
The Orangeburg coils were 3c stamps, used to send samples, specifically for Bell Pharmaceutical company.
There were no 2c (or Two Cents) versions of the stamp from 1911. The 388 is from 1910, the 353 (double line watermark) is from 1909. The 388 is $2,250 CV for a used example, the 353 is $220 for a used example. A closeup of the stamp without the gauge and blocking around it would b useful. You've cropped the parts of the stamp we need to see to identify possible authenticity of the coil being genuine at all. I'm guessing though that if the cancellation is fake, then the coil is as well. It's possible the cover is from Orangeburg, and it's just a coil that went out on letter...
cfrphoto will know more on the history of this coil, or maybe John Becker, but I have my doubts.
BTW a 388 on cover carries a CV of $3,000. I also have to say 99% of the time when I see these kinds of "attention mark" ID's "388 S.L. Wmk" such as written here, its to creat confirmation bias... the only way to watermark that stamp would be to take it off cover and check it, unless it has a really strong single line watermark, which I'm not seeing in the photo.
(Though, I have seen stamps lifted from cover, and replaced after validation of ID).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by ClassicPhilatelist - 05/05/2019 2:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Classical,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I agree with everything you have said. I called it "My Orangeburg Coil cover" tongue in cheek, as it is a coil on a similar envelope to the real cover, and as close as I will ever get to owning one.

I agree, very likely a common issue. As you said, "just a coil that went out on letter..." On closer inspection it looks like it might have been a regular stamp trimmed along the bottom to make it look like a coil. Also noted is the tear upper left.

Here are a couple of additional scans hopefully not blocking anything important.

Gary

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gslaten,
It looks to me more like the top is trimmed, and the bottom is natural strait edge? Big margin at the top though, but I see perf remnants there. See photo I've uploaded, where I've matched the 12 perf from the left side (rotated) to align with the top of the stamp and the valleys of the perfs. The green arrow points to the perf mark, and trails through the valley of the perf. That would make it a 332 or a 375, both common stamps with a CV of about 25-35 cents.
They did a pretty good job of keeping it parallel though.
As for the tear, that might be hiding a bigger perf mark, and/or mimicking the result of the "Orangeburg" cancel. Apparently their machine was pretty rough with the items, and resulted in creases and tears. So this may just be trying to "add authenticity" to it's appearance.
Your new closeup of the cancel looks totally dodgy to me now as well, especially the lines... with just dots of ink trailing off, and (suspicious as any fake cancel, not just the absence of the wavy lines).
What's that old saying... if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Classical,

I don't see any uploaded image of the perfs you mentioned, so something apparently went awry. But I suspect you are correct. Disappointing but not surprising, so I have retrieved the down payment on the new truck.... Thanks for all your efforts, pretty much confirmed what I suspected.

Gary
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7996 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There certainly have been covers to and from Bell & Co with 2 cents postage. See lot 6073 from July 2018.
https://stampauctionnetwork.com/V/V5023.cfm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7996 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Notice that the lot description said nothing about the Orangeburg coil even in passing.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Revcollector,

Thanks for pointing me to the website showing other Bell and Co. covers. No, of course these have nothing to do with the Orangeburg Coils, but does demonstrate the use of 2 cent postage at the time both to and from Bell and Co.

Thank you both Classic and Revcollector for taking the time and making the effort to further my education. So much to learn, so little time.
Edited by gslaten - 05/05/2019 11:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry gslaten, totally forgot to add the image.

Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Classic,

Yes, I agree, sure does look like the perfs were cut off the top. Again, thanks for the continuing education.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just an observation and question. The left and right perfs are not in alignment. Shouldn't the they be in alignment if this was a coil stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wkusau, that's true of rotary press coils, but not flat plate. They sometimes are, but that's not a reliable method of ruling out a coil in flat plate printings.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 918Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05