Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scribble On Postal Stationery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 746Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1242 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why do so many dealers and vendors feel the need to scribble all kinds of noted on the face of Postal Stationery?
Catalogue numbers (sometime multiple cat #)
Catalogue values
Varieties like Type IIa or dates like 1926
and Lots of other annoying notes

You never see them hidden inside
Just defacing the fronts and backs

You don't see these dealers scribbling on the face of stamps!
Why stationery?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Often time those notes are deceptions... like your mention of a cat# and a type... when people "see" it they believe it.
Most are legitimate. It's an annoying thing more from the past then the present. There was a time when "pencil marks" because they could be erased were considered inconsiderate.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
901 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ClassicPhilatelist

Along those lines the practice of writing on the backs of stamps also seems to me a form of graffiti. This one wishful thinking...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind the light, soft pencil lead markings that can easily be removed with a quality, vinyl eraser. The thoughtless, heavy-handed embossings are a different matter.

And ballpoint pen? That's complete ignorance. It changes everything.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gettinold,
Those types of scribbling are intended to fool the uninformed. (aka this is "Mis-information").
I see this ALL the time. Some are legitimate misidentifications, but I've yet to find one that has a number written on it that is the "lower" value, it's always the higher value. When you buy lots of collections (including dealer stock), and you run through 100's of these, it becomes more obvious...
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbndrbob,
Yes, there are some that are easily removed (and when I get them I remove them) both from collected items, and stock that I will sell. I like my offerings to be a s clean as possible... no erroneous bits stuck on, no markings. The ones I hate are the hand stamps. These often bleed through a stamp over time as well, and they are just insidious. I hate selling them when I have them (but when they come in a collection, what choice do you have). I always do back photos of stamps when I sell them, and those are always noted.
I also wish I could go back in time and "un-invent" the hinge. Save everyone a lot of grief.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1174 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   02:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's be honest...people are just plain lazy! While you may be able to remove some pencil marks, indentations left by hand pressure still remain.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
901 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the reverse of the stamp has OG any attempt to remove pencil marks will only damage the stamp further.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1242 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's really annoying is sometimes they are in ink!!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7996 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I once saw a 158A with five lines of pencil notes covering the back explaining the stamp. The info was accurate but that is a seriously rare stamp to be writing all over.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 746Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05