Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does A Hinged Stamp Decrease Its Value + Other Questions

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member

37 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Yolom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

1) I found out I have numerous stamps worth a lot of money, the problem is that they are hinged ( I.e. taped to a book of collected stamps ). Does that bring the stamp down in price to a large degree? Unhinged stamps must be worth more, right?

2) If the stamp is stamped does that decrease its value to a large degree? I assume new , unstamped stamps are worth much more.

3) I have a collection of stamps that are clumped together for some reason, lol. Is their a way to get them apart without damaging them , maybe with the use of heat or something, so I can sell them in mint condition. I mean assuming they don't stick when I'm taking them apart they will be new unhinged stamps.
I took one stamp that was stuck to another and the front of one stamp stuck the picture to the back of the other stamp, so that's got to bring the price down, right?

4) I googled many of my stamps and some are worth $100,000, but I doubt I'm that lucky. For example I have this stamp but it's probably the wrong one : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can...n_laid_paper

It looks just like that Canadian stamp, but since it's hinged and maybe it's made of the wrong kind of paper , therefore it may be worth very little.

5) Do you have to pay someone to appraise your stamps? Is it a good idea in my case and worth the money to get my stamps appraised?

6) How do I know a stamp buyer isn't going to rip me off? How can I trust any of them? Can you trust any of them?

7) Is selling on eBay a good idea? Maybe sell the stamps one by one? Anyone have any tips or links to websites on how to sell stamps on eBay?

8) A few of my stamps got a little teared , but otherwise intact, just small barely seen tears. Are those tears a big deal and bring the price of the stamp down a lot? Should I just throw those stamps out?

9) I have never been to an auction, I assume that after you get your stamps appraised and if they are worth a lot you can sell them at an auction? Does the person who appraised your stamps the person who sells them at auction or do I sell them at auction? Are auctions a way to get the best bang for your buck? Or to get the best bang for my buck should I sell them one by one on eBay, sell them to a buyer, or some other way that you personally would advise?

As you can see I'm a total stamp noob, I am totally lost, so maybe you can help me find my way threw the world of stamps.

Thank you so much for any help, opinions or advice you can spare me.
Very much appreciated.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Yolom - 05/06/2019 11:57 pm

Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will bite

It is like this you know, you know. A bunch of slimy Trolls were living together under a bridge with nothing to do. After a while the slime stuck them together. The smaller ones spit when they talked and it just so happened that the small Trolls spit unstuck them. So, spit on them Dear. And, Peace be with you.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
37 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yolom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lol...

Well, stamps are naturally sticky anyway, right? They don't look like they were spitted on by any person. Actually they were inside envelopes for like 100+years, so when I took them out they were just all clumped together, but not by spit by the natural stick of the stamps. My uncle got many stamps from friends all over, but he never opened the envelopes, so I believe they stuck together naturally because stamps are kind of sticky anyway plus add all that time to them. That's what I believe happened most likely. So spitting on them will just make things a lot worse...or maybe it will work, lol.

Another question I forgot to ask :

10) If a stamp has stuff stuck to its back , like dirt , cardboard, or whatever does that decrease its value? I would say yes, but by a lot or just a little or does it depend on a lot of factors? Man stamps are much more complicated then I originally thought, lol. So many variables involved.
Edited by Yolom - 05/07/2019 12:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4155 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   01:47 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. First, it's best to assume that you DON'T have numerous stamps worth a lot of money. The Canadian stamp you provided a link to is a prime example of a rare variant of a common stamp. Start with the principle that most stamps are worth very little.

There are ways of getting stamps that have become stuck together apart, although they may well not be "mint" when the process has finished.

You shouldn't be thinking of rarity, auctions etc at this point - take a few clear scans and photos and post them here. People will give you an idea whether they have any financial value.
Valued Member
37 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yolom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, I'm looking just to make some pocket change that is all. Maybe 20$ or so. My stamps are probably worth 10$ to 40$, some are dollars or quarters worth, still that's money and add them all together with United States stamps, Canada stamps and Great Britain and I might end up with at least some pocked change.

I'm not a stamp collector, although I can see how people could get interested in them. For example in time those stamps if passed on again and again might be worth millions in the far future. Hmmm...now that I'm thinking about it I should start collecting and add onto the existing stamps I enherited already then in the future they will be worth big money assuming of course people still like stamps in the future, and something tells me they will because a lot of people like old things because it reminds them of the past. Yup, stamp collecting sounds interesting and I can see why people do it. Plus they enjoy it themselves for personal reasons.

So do you have any ideas on how to unstick these clumps of stamps? It's a shame they won't be mint after the process, how about near mint? That would be awesome advice and very much appreciated. I'm having a hard time getting pictures on here under 200KB, I mean that's really small.

Still trying with the pictures...man it's hard with so little space to work with. I don't know how to take pictures like that, but I'm trying. Get back to you guys ASAP once I figure out how to get pictures under 200KB on here. It's seems impossible, or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I take a picture of a page and then it says it's too big, just one page.
Edited by Yolom - 05/07/2019 02:37 am
Valued Member
37 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   03:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yolom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted a picture that was 180 kB and it still didn't load. I have millions of pictures to take because I inheritted two boxes of stamps and a giant book of stamps. So I don't mind taking pictures all day. I have really old stamps from all over. Which countries tend to have the most valuable stamps? I think I have stamps from every country in the world. My uncle was a fiendish collector.
Edited by Yolom - 05/07/2019 03:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
689 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forget value! The vast majority of stamps are worth practically nothing and it's likely you have ones like that. You mentioned tears and cancellations - they sound like common used stamps from someone's old collection.

For starters - how much was paid for them? What sort of albums are/were they in? An expensive one with clear annotation?
Edited by Ringo - 05/07/2019 03:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   03:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yolom,
It sounds like you just want to sell the lot off.
When it comes to real value in stamps, CONDITION is everything, and it sounds like your stamps have LOTS of conditions (groups stuck together, tears, foreign objects on the backs).
They are likely modern stamps (and essentially stamps from 1940 onward are modern, but the 1910 - 1940 groups tend to have little of much value because by then, this was the "internet" of the day, and everyone communicated this way, hence 100's of millions of stamps printed, and just because they are still around today with gum on them, doesn't mean they will be much value).

You don't mention how you came to be in possession of this lot of stamps. But I would suggest, if you're not into collecting, or you don't want to become a stamp dealer, put the whole lot in one go up on eBay, with a starting value of $1 and let the buyers bid what they will. If you're satisfied with $20 for the let, you could also put it up as a buy it now for $40 or best offers, and maybe you get more than $20, you can decline any offers you receive.

Can you post some images of your stamps? The clumps, the ones in particular could have value... we can look at it and give you a better idea.
Stamps stuck together may still be good for postal use, so there could be value in that group. But your focus on "unhinged" encompasses something broader which is "other than perfect gum". You've already described pulling some apart and having images remaining in the gum. But these can still be used for postage...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forget the $$ as condition is very important. A few scans some learning and a peak at a fun hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
583 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1) I found out I have numerous stamps worth a lot of money, the problem is that they are hinged ( I.e. taped to a book of collected stamps ).

I hope you mean they are affixed with a philatelic hinge. It they are actually stuck on with tape, they would be next to worthless.
When I first started collecting stamps as a child, I used the old Scotch tape on my stamps when I ran out of the hinges that came with the starter kit. Fortunately all the ruined stamps were common ones, but it still took several years to replace them all.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2387 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be aware catalog prices rarely reflect what a typical seller will get for them.
Al
Valued Member
37 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yolom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know if this helps but the name of the book of stamps is 'International Junior Postage Stamp Album' Copyright 1930. It looks pretty old. Still trying with getting the pics uploaded, so stay tuned until I figure this out. It might not work with my specific iPad Air tablet and my desktop is broke, so I may not be able to upload pics.* Fingers crossed*

Thanks to everyone for great advice and help so far, meaning until I get pics up. Somebody asked where I got these, well years ago before he died my uncle gave them to me, I can't remember what he told me about them.

Also I found out that the hindges are philatelic hinges NOT scotch tape,it seems my uncle was clearly a serious collector, or at least dedicated to stamp collecting like you fellas. After doing some serious searching some of my foreign stamps are worth a bit $50 or so, and some of the American ones about the same.
Edited by Yolom - 05/08/2019 06:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The name/type of album isn't really helpful at all. Pics are a must.
Valued Member
37 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yolom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know, lol...getting on it. There will be like a thousand pics though because I have sooooo many.

So say I really do have a $50 stamp how much would a buyer pay for it? Like 1$, lol. If I had a $100 stamp, would he buy it for a dollar also? If so maybe auction or eBay might be better. I saw people selling identical stamps to mine ( only a few ) for thousands of dollars on eBay.

Edit : I forgot to mention the stamps with small tears are my fault. I was trying to untangle them from the globs of stamps stuck together. So, obviously I no longer do that just in case the stamps are worth something.

I know not to get my hopes up, but you guys sound like you really, really, really don't want me to have any valuable stamps, lol. Are you like that with everyone? You should try rooting for your fellow man, not putting down his hopes and dreams of getting the big big money out of some of his stamps. I probably hit the mother load and you're just jealous if it happens, just kidding #128578;#128521;

Darn.. how do I get pics up. I take a picture with my tablet and your website says it's over the limit when in fact it's not. Maybe a SyOp can help me here? I read. All your instructions. The only way to get pics up is to maybe use an outside source like 'image shack' then import here?

Edited by Yolom - 05/08/2019 07:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2387 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For early US, a lot of stamps look the same but they are not. They can vary by perforation, minor design details (usually called types) that cannot be seen without a magnifier and experience, and watermarks. These details are not obvious in images.
Al
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05