Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Has Turned Out To Be Your Best Collectible Investment? You're Worst?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 05/12/2019   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My best stamp investment was a used U.S. Scott #70. I think I paid maybe $60 for it. There was something about the listing that made me think it was too good to be true, so I sent to the Philatelic Foundation for expertization. It came back graded VF-80, no flaws, and correctly identified as a #70c, which catalogs around $1,800.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 05/12/2019   12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatcent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best? Surprisingly enough, playing cards. 7-11 produced a special deck with their logo on it and had it printed with USPCC, the producers of "Bicycle" playing cards and arguably the greatest playing card producer ever. They were in very select stores only in the U.S. I virtually bought out the closest store that had them, and sold them to a playing card collector overseas for just about triple what I spent.

Worst? There's unfortunately a few. Most memorable would be when I bought a lot of postcards that had very common but old U.S. stamps on 'em. This was back when I fell victim to the "if it's old it HAS to be at least a little valuable" mentality. Thankfully it's a lesson I learned from. To be fair, some of the best life lessons are the ones that sting the most. In a way, I'm glad it happened- if only for the educational aspect.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
181 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mint postage has turned out to be both my best and worst investment.
Worst was the stuff I bought myself as a kid in the 1970s, best was all the stuff I have since picked up on eBay at a fraction of face and then used to send parcels.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4166 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best stamp investment------Many big junk lots at various stamp auctions . Many being huge bulk lots ,I had 3 or 4 tons of boxes all piled high to be worked on in the 1980's and 1990's the auction firms were all happy I was taking the stuff ,they even threw in more bulk stuff because nobody wanted it . THEN eBay STARTED ,and then the world changed.
Valued Member
19 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best stamp investment: All of them, at least in recent years. I get enjoyment out of collecting, mounting and admiring them which is something that has no price tag. I sold my childhood album for about $60 as a teen in probably 1990, which was a fair price for the book at the time. (Nothing of real serious monetary value there.) Since then, have never sold or tried to sell a stamp. Thankfully am in the postition that I don't have to consider haing to sell stamps; but yearn for the old days of stamp clubs when you could actually trade.

If I could find a kid or family who would genuinely appreciate some of my duplicates and give them away to someone who really would cherish them as a true collector, that would probably be the biggest investment/gain.

Valued Member
Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
120 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The_Pope to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do You think,is the long term (20+ years before sale) investing in stamps a good idea?
And I dont think about 1000 USD+ cat value stamps,but about some middle class. For example british commonwealth 100-200 USD catalogue value series.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05