Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain 1902 2 1/2d Double Impression And Perforation 14.5+ X 14 - Please Verify Findings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 682Next Topic  
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add souldjer777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Morning All,

I am pretty excited about this one... a 1902 Great Britain 2 1/2d stamp with a double impression along the top. Also, the perforation on this stamp is 14.5+ on top and bottom with perforation 14 at the sides. I have scanned the stamp at 1200 dpi to get verification of my findings. Please measure for yourselves and let me know your results.

My results - Marker #top14 saved. Top:14.66 Right:14.06 Bottom:14.87 Left:13.98.

1200 DPI:

Free Online Digital Perforation Guage:
https://www.stampcollectingblog.com...ation-gauge/

I appreciate the verification and assistance.
Send note to Staff
Whatever you see is for sale, just email me an honest offer
Edited by souldjer777 - 05/08/2019 09:36 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7392 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Souldier, a real perforation gauge costs only pennies and really is a must.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
963 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where is the double impression??? There is nothing like that in your stamp!
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1694 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you have is interesting...but not a double impression. The printed sheets of stamps were stacked with interleaving when the ink was still wet. If the interleaving was not in place it caused an "offset" impression on the back of the stamp above it. If that "offset" impression was moved even slightly (again when the ink was still wet) it caused a faint non coincidental impression on the stamp below.
You stamp is perforated 14.
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Everyone.

I'm hoping someone will use the online perforation gauge and share their measurements here in the forum please. The stamp is scanned at 1200 DPI.

Petert4522 - I prefer the online perf gauge as others can measure and share their measurements. I have several perforation gauges - "phila combi box" , a "white ace postage stamp perforation gauge", a "Precision US Specialty Multi Gauge" and a S.G. gauge somewhere around here lol.

Galeoptix - The double impressions are along the top frame, in Postage & Revenue, top left, top right... in misc areas. It's quite hard to miss.

scotzm -
Quote:
You stamp is perforated 14.

I thought you would correct me and say that my stamp was 15 x 14 as in 1911 Stanley Gibbons GB 283. This stamp is not perforated 14.
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indicators to show strong areas of re-entry.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful photo
Pillar Of The Community
792 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most British low value definitive stamps are about 20 mm wide. Consequently, a perf. 14 stamp has about 14 perforation tips and a perf. 15x14 stamp has about 15 at top and bottom. You cannot get 15 in a perf. 14 stamp. The 15 perforation tips of your stamp excludes the perf. 14 stamp. This makes it a 1911 Harrison stamp SG283 (as you already mentioned) and not a 1902 stamp. The cancellation will be "12" and not "02."

Since they used a comb perforator, the bottom and top perforations will be the same.

Other than that scotzm already said it (it has all the appearances of a doubling of parts of the print caused by the lack of interleaving coinciding with a shift of sheets) true double prints (the sheet being printed twice) are extremely rare during the Edwardian period and would create a full doubling of the image. Re-entries are not recorded for the Harrison printings and would appear on each stamp from the same position in the sheet printed from that plate (after a re-entry).
Edited by NSK - 03/05/2021 3:52 pm
Learn More...
9256 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   3:50 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NSK (and others) for bringing logic and reason to this thread.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
792 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

OP must be the luckiest guy on earth. All never before seen re-entries and the likes appear in his collection. I get the impression he hardly has "normal" stamps.
Edited by NSK - 03/05/2021 3:55 pm
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not lucky. I work extremely hard - accent on EXTREMELY. The truth behind my actions? I'm fiendishly looking through tens of thousands of stamps so I can help my son who has a heart condition. I personally can't think of giving up on him. I have more stamps than I can look through or count in my lifetime. Also, I have looked at some stamps more than twice and only discovered the difference after looking a 3rd or 4th time. What I do is NOT something I recommend to anyone. It's not relaxing. It's strenuous. Yes, in my case it is a necessity and my primary driving force. Giving back what I can to extend that life. What's surprising is - it's more exhausting just posting this message. I'm afraid it's the weight of the truth.
Edited by souldjer777 - 03/08/2021 08:22 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 682Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05