Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perfin "Paper Penetrating" Cancellation On Battleship Proprietary Rb23p

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Thailand
86 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Finally secured my first "perfin" on a RB23! Very pleased as it was the one I had recently and unsuccessfully made a bid on and lost but subsequently and unknowingly had acquired in a different lot that I bought... LOL. What a surprise when it materialized right before me eyes!

Now I need to figure out who this company is, either "W.A." or "A.W.", and why on earth they would have used a perfin cancellation as a proprietary company.

The perfin was most likely applied before the stamp was affixed to the product or one would logically conclude so. May be wrong on that though.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
171 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perforated letters were usually put on a stamp as an anti pilfering device.
I have recently got some Battleship design stamps some say Documentary and some say Proprietary, What were they for? irecently got an old Scott catalogue but still don't quite understand what they did other than somehow indicate tax paid.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arthur Mongan's excellent, although not infallible, work on perfins on revenues, published by The Perfin Club, credits this perfin to Alfred Wright of Rochester, NY. The Battleship Desk Reference by Robert Mustacich and Giacomelli has the same attribution. This work also lists perfumes as the business of Alfred Wright. This latter work is essential for the library of anyone collecting cancels on the proprietary battleships.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 05/08/2019 11:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To Noocassel - The documentary inscribed stamps were used on documents that were financial transactions subject to taxes. These included stocks, bonds, checks, promissory notes, etc. The proprietary stamps were put on medicines, perfumes, chewing gum, wine, toiletries, etc. The proprietary tax on medicines, toiletries, and perfumes was based on retail price 5/8 per 25 retail). Wines - 1 for a pint; 2 for more than a pint.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 05/08/2019 12:11 pm
Valued Member
Thailand
86 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@revenuermd - Many thanks for that tip good sir! I thought it might be Alfred Wright but when I had referenced BDR earlier I somehow completely missed the "[perfin] vert" entry under Alfred Wright. So again thank you!

Was that U.S. Revenue-Perfins, Volume 1 by Mongan?

@Noocassel - Yes, that is true in regards to perfins... however, they are somewhat rare on proprietary revenues and usually seen on documentary revenues instead.

These two revenue series were issued to pay for the Spanish American War under the United States War Revenue Law of June 13, 1898. "Proprietary" revenue stamps were issued for use on taxable proprietary consumer products, such as playing cards, cosmetics, medicines, liquor, tonics, matches, etc. While "Documentary" revenue stamps were issued for collecting taxes on various legal and business transactions (such as bank checks/drafts/wires, insurances, stock certificates, bills of lading, and shipping manifests).
Valued Member
United Kingdom
171 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you revenuemd. Was the battleship shown the USS Maine?
Valued Member
Thailand
86 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed, it is the U.S.S. Maine (ACR-1... not the BB-10 which was a later battleship launched and commissioned in 1901/1902). The engraved vignette by Robert F. Ponickau (frame and lettering were engraved by British-born engraver Douglas Stewart Ronaldson) was taken from the following 1895 painting by F.N. Atwood (Washington D.C. National Archives):

Here are few other pictures that have been attributed to Ponickau's engraving process:

Edited by BattleshipRB23 - 05/09/2019 03:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
2064 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite Battleship uses. The ship on the engraved draft does not match the stamp (main mast too far back on the engraving, for one), but still a neat pairing.

Valued Member
Thailand
86 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@John Becker - Very nice thanks for sharing that. The ship is Columbia-class protected cruiser USS Minneapolis (C-13).
Pillar Of The Community
2064 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Battleship. Thanks, I was hoping someone would recognize it and save me some legwork.
Valued Member
Thailand
86 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spent a many study hall session at military school staring at Jane's instead of doing my class work.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05