Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Experience And The Aftermath

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add revenuermd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Made an offer on an eBay lot that was an "or Best Offer" slightly more than the opening bid. I was turned down. The item closed and I could not tell if it had sold, so I inquired about the selling price of the item. Turned out the item did not sell and the listing company offered me the item for the starting bid.

So they turn down a higher offer and then when it got no bids, they offered it to me for the starting bid? Interesting business model!

And it might not come as a big surprise that it was a Carefree auction firm that gets discussed frequently on this forum!
Send note to Staff
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 05/08/2019 7:31 pm

Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He got an offer and probably assumed that that indicated that there would be a bidding war at the close of the auction. Once the bidding war didn't materialize he was willing to sell at the opening.
I've bought several items for less than my "best offer" after the "best offer" was rejected.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He probably didnt remember your offer. Careful about quality, I've had less than carefree experiences in Carefree.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5905 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a similar experience in buying Mahler's documents book some years ago. I offered $30, got turned down and later bought it for $25. Crazy.
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it works out this way. Glad you got a deal.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05