Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Got An Offer For My Stamps, Is It Fair?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

4 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add fiods2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted here a while back looking for any info. I went to some local people and got a few opinions the best offer I got was for $200, here is some pictures of the stamps. thanks so much for any help.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/...fB7RbrLiAY3F
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
128 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stuart MacNeil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert but those Chinese stamps could be worth a lot more than $200.00. Other than that the rest are quite common and you'd be lucky to get $10.00 for them. You need to find an expert on Chinese stamps, the Chinese have only recently come to the hobby and since most of the stamps produced pre 1980's were exported many were not available in the Peoples Republic of China. 1.3 billion potential collectors!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
198 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Obviously assessing the condition and value of a collection via photos on the net is less than ideal. But it does appear you have some interesting PRC material. Valuable: TBD.

My two go-to resources for PRC matters/material are the China Stomp Society (Jim Maxwell, president at chinastampsociety dot org) and Frank (esp his wife) at FvH Stamps in Vancouver BC.

Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1483 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
fiods2, I think you can do better if you get offers from (smaller) dealers that specialize in China or Asia. You will have to ship for final inspection before getting a check in hand. You should get at least a couple of offers.

Stuart MacNeil: "1.3 billion potential collectors"? Subsistence farmers, the great majority of the population there, are not collectors. Speculators in PRC stamps probably far outnumber real collectors worldwide and what the major ones are holding off the market are keeping prices artificially high for PRC in general.
Edited by hy-brasil - 05/10/2019 5:24 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
53 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you check, now China is now over 50% urban with 15 mega cities of over 30 million each!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1483 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the median wage is... ? And the median amount of disposable income is... ?

So you are saying, using Canada as the example, the approximately 65,000 Inuits have the same proportion of stamp collectors as Canada as a whole (37 million).
Edited by hy-brasil - 05/10/2019 6:47 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
351 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some good PRC sets there, though most of the China is post-1980, which just misses the more expensive eras. Still, $200 does seem like it may be a little low.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
53 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy-brazil, I'm just saying, China is now over 57% urban, that is over 700 million people!(collectors and potential collectors) And with technology and automation, those people are getting more education...more free time...more disposable income..even more investment income! look at all those cities and mega cities, how do all those people keep busy?
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating how readily these threads decompose.
4 Posts
Posted 05/11/2019   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fiods2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tell me about it hhaha
Pillar Of The Community
714 Posts
Posted 05/11/2019   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IF you're a dealer, isn't it supposed to be: buy low sell high?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05