Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Catalogue For Beginners

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 05/11/2019   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wheatcent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

First off I wanted to thank everyone that helped me with the #35 question I had last week here on the Canadian forum.

After purchasing a large lot (not necessarily kiloware, just someone's collection from eBay) I found that a majority of the stamps are Canadian. They very much interest me and I'd like to make Canadian stamps a big part of my collection.

That being said, which catalogue(s) would you recommend for a beginner? I'm having a hard time locating a Scott album dedicated to Canada (maybe I am looking in the wrong place). I also came across the Unitrade Specialized Catalogue for Canadian Stamps, would that be a good item to pick up?

Thanks again. My apologies if this has been asked before- I searched the forum but didn't find anything that answered my questions.

Best,

-wheatcent
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/11/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wheatcent

Unitrade Catalouge is the only book you will need...N.S.S.C. (Newfoundland Specialized Stamp Catalouge) is an extra for Newfoundland stamps...Enjoy

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
325 Posts
Posted 05/11/2019   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@wheatcent I was in the same position as you about 18 months ago, and Unitrade has been invaluable. Not expensive, and one a couple years old is fine. Also covers all the Canadian provinces.
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/11/2019   12:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Free, online Canadian Stamp catalog
http://stampsmarter.com/features/Ca...ntifier.html

Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
314 Posts
Posted 05/11/2019   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unitrade is a great catalog. Not only is it a thorough specialized catalog for Canada -- the only catalog you'll need if you collect that country -- but they licensed the Scott numbers for the regular Canadian issues. The many, many additional varieties they list get their own numbers. They stay basically consistent with the Scott format: special-purpose issues get their own letter prefix, minor varieties get a lowercase letter after the number, and so on.

This is especially convenient, as Unitrade collectors and Scott collectors will use the same numbers for the same (Scott-listed) varieties. Also, an Unitrade-listed minor variety of a Scott-listed major number will be understandable to a Scott collector (i.e. they'll know what the basic issue is). A Scott collector can also deduce that "Unitrade CL7" refers to a local/semi-official airmail, even if it isn't in the Scott catalog, because in Scott "C" is airmail and "L" is local. It works well, as Scott is the most popular general catalog in use in both the US and Canada.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 05/13/2019   01:09 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, do you have a Great Britain version like Canada?
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/13/2019   03:06 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pasco,
No, sorry.
Don
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 05/13/2019   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatcent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be sure to pick up a copy. Looking forward to the new adventure in Canadian philately!
Canada
1 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ArcticFox to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... do you have a Great Britain version like Canada?

Have you seen stampworld? It's an online worldwide catalogue. You have to create an account, if you want to use it. It's probably not as good of a resource as the Canadian catalogue that was recommended by Don, but it's useful.

Collecting GB Stamps is a very good online resource for Great Britain. All GB stamps are listed along with date of issue, perf sizes, etc...

I am not able to provide links because I am new here. But if you do a search, I am sure you will find the above two.
Edited by ArcticFox - 05/19/2019 2:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1434 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unitrade Canada Specialized is great.....surprised we are still stalking about it as a novelty - but life is life in the Stamp World and for $C35 you can get it......as compared to other pricey Catalogs......it is the Bible for CANADA and its Provinces except Newfounland.....they were late into our Confederation and have their own.....which I do not own right now lol !
Edited by Renden - 05/19/2019 7:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05