Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

So You Think You Have A Big Stamp Collection.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
314 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
104 size dealer cards fit nicely in most card catalogs (you can use the smaller 102 cards as well of course).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot..Keep looking buddy..They are so neat.

Quote:

104 size dealer cards fit nicely in most card catalogs

codehappy,,,That is exactly what he had in those cases....looked impressive to me.

Robert
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   12:15 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wood is not a good storage solution for anything paper.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wood is not a good storage solution for anything paper.

You are correct Don, but back then a lot of stamp collectors stored their stamps in what ever they had on hand, and these library cases just seemed to fill the need for storage...Old school collection.

But, yes, you are right Don.

Robert

Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   1:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible to seal the wood (i.e. polyurethane) to prevent acidification. It is also likely that short-term storage, especially if very good environmental conditions are maintained, would not cause any harm. But I felt is best to at least mention this in case others read this thread and consider this as a solution.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I felt is best to at least mention this in case others read this thread and consider this as a solution.

Good call Don

Funny why Kasimir Bileski kept his collection in card board boxes as the first picture shows...I mean card board boxes are a form of wood..Right...?
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, although there archival carboard boxes available (read as, these things are expensive!).

Acids come from Lignin. Lignin is the cellular organic substance that binds cells and fibers in wood; giving structural strength to plant cells. As the Lignin ages, it releases acids. So anything made with wood or wood pulp will leech acid over time. 'Acid free' paper still has Lignin, but they throw in a handful of buffer (baking soda) to offset the acid formation. trouble is, the buffer can only neutralize the acids for a period of time. After that the acid starts leeching out again.

Archival paper products are made without wood pulp (typically cotton or cotton rag) and are considered Lignin-free.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
325 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep my good stamps in albums obviously and my inexpensive seconds in glassines in file boxes. Some in the bunch of old library card catalogues I have, others in regular cardboard or metal file boxes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
814 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny I was just looking through a Canadian album from my dad for first time yesterday, evaluating it for him.

and this was front page. I noticed it was a cool cover page and then came across this thread.
I'm not a Canada collector but album is real nice
I'll post some pages and perhaps someone here can evaluate stamps for me.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
814 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
again, I am not a Canada expert and just have 2006 Scott catalog (not specialized)

I guess money shot here is the Scott 16 ten cent black brown?

Its slotted in the spot for scott 16 and there are a whole bunch of scott 17 red lilac/violet/and brown to compare.

would probably need a cert but its definitely darker than the all 5 other Scott 17 on the page.

I hat the fact the stamps are hinged to page. I have more pages to show if some wish to comment

Pillar Of The Community
United States
814 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
248 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Your ten-cent Consort won't be a black brown from what I see. There are many threads in this forum where you can compare. But it's a very nice page of Cents Issue stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1419 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With usual warnings about how things look on computer screens, I would say your black brown is a dark shade of violet. The ones you have as violet on the left side are the lighter greyish/slate-y shades. Your brown is a shade of violet somewhere between those two.

The black brown type always looks pretty black to me. The brown is more something like the middle range of the 3c Admiral color; it can be dark enough so that someone might think it to be black brown.

Here's one earlier discussion with images:
http://goscf.com/t/57573
Edited by hy-brasil - 05/26/2019 12:17 am
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, rgstamp for posting that picture of the Arthur Szyk print for Canada. Funny, all the times I've gone looking through eBay to look for Szyk's various works (he also illustrated several books, including a special edition of Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales, the Book of Ruth from the Old Testament,and a book of very biting anti-Fascist political cartoons) I've come across several of the Bileski-sponsored stamp album prints but had never seen this one before, and in keeping with the rest of the set, it's stunning.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
814 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for input on the Scott 16/17 and guidance.
This is an interesting collection I'm looking through.
I'm trying to get my feet grounded on Canada
(I am a US collector)
I will say that Canadian 19th century stamps are nicer looking than most USA

I will try to post more pages from this collection.
Some pages are quite attractive.
It's basically 19th century only.
Probably some forgeries mixed in as well
Especially Newfoundland
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05