Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Look Out USPS, An Innovative Approach From Amazon

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
6517 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   05:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In another thread, I mentioned that Amazon is setting the bar very high for online sellers. Even without premium services like 'Prime', Amazon is setting buyers value expectations for incredibly fast delivery times. Here is more evidence that Amazon is setting the competition bar higher and higher for online sellers.

" Amazon to provide up to $10,000 for employees to start new delivery businesses"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...s-2019-05-13

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/amazo...y-companies/

I know that folks love to hate on eBay, but the real 800 pound gorilla is Google and Amazon. These two companies are dominating online buying/selling and make eBay look insignificant. Heck, even UPS/FedEx/USPS should be looking over their shoulders.
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2294 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read that Uber was trying to do something similar as they expand.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Learn More...
6517 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   09:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also announced today
Walmart announces next-day delivery, firing back at Amazon

Fast delivery is clearly identified as being of extreme importance for online selling. Stamp sellers should be looking at things they can do lessen shipping time and delivery times.

The luxury of waiting a day or two before packing, having the parcel sit on the floor for a one or so, etc. is not going to meet online buyer's expectations moving forward.
Don
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Competition is a good thing. As you mentioned Don, UPS/FedEx/USPS can all be affected by this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USPS already has contract delivery.. two types... Rural Carriers & HCR (Highway Contract Routes). Rural Carriers can take advantage of USPS benefits but they are responsible for vehicles (all aspects) relief, vacation, & sick replacements...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   11:39 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand wanting some things ASAP, but who needs their collectibles yesterday. The idea that I need a jet on standby to ship my eBay stamp sales is a bit much.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2294 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a dramatic change from not that many years ago where you would place an order and no clue when it shipped or when it would arrive. The USPS logistical system usually meets 2 or 3 day delivery even for first class or media mail. I recall in years past on ordering from stamp supply places and waiting. I can order stamp mounts from Global stamp and get them in 2 days postpaid over $25.00 orders.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/15/2019 08:11 am
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard on the news that in response to Walmart, Amazon was also shortening its 2 day delivery to 1 day delivery for prime members, or vice versa. Three cheers for competition.
Edited by billresh - 05/15/2019 4:46 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 7.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05