Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin One Cent Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

South Africa
6 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rafmal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi guys,,im so tired trying to get this post , hope I get it right this time. anyway I trust you are all well. im wanting to no if I have the right stamp (596) my research points to it being the real deal, but I wana make sure from you guys (the Experts). I have been reading these forums for a while now but only decided to join today.have a look at my stamp and please let me no what you all think.i appreciate any and all that you know about this.
thanks
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
6517 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   3:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
You can read and learn more about this series of stamps here
http://stampsmarter.com/learning/ID...arities.html

Why do you think this is a #596 (with about 15 known) and not, let's say... a #552 (with over 4 billion printed) ?
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3480 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try the SCF "search" function and type in 596 for 563 posts on why your stamp is not a 596 and what to look for. You might also try stamp smarter site.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3114 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure you've been reading for quite some time before joining. If so, you've seen many threads where we encourage people to assume that they have the most common stamp until they can prove otherwise. Please use the tools mentioned and come back with your findings. Good luck!
Valued Member
South Africa
6 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for all the response, I must apologize, its the wrong picture..why? well out of my 10 Franklin's I have 2 of them measure (19.25 mm by 22,5 mm) and its the blueish paper, the pref is (11) the only thing is I cant see the watermark. this is the stamp . sorry guys im having a hassle cropping my photos to size of 2kb. but yes what do you guys think?
Valued Member
South Africa
6 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys if you want to assist me in finding out if my stamps are right , I would really appreciate it if youll could *** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. *** then I can send you my photos. I would really Appreciate this. thank you
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First off I'd edit your email before the harvesting bots grab it. 2nd, don't worry about watermarks on the 4th bureau issues because they are not watermarked. 3rd, pay no attention to the measurement of the stamp, it's not a accurate way to determine catalog number. Use the search in the classic US stamp forum and type in 596 and study the threads.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3114 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Use the search in the classic US stamp forum and type in 596 and study the threads.

Excellent suggestion. I usually start with that, and find my answer is in there somewhere. Good Luck.
Valued Member
South Africa
6 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks all
Learn More...
6517 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   08:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fellow community member Chris Palermo wrote the article linked above http://stampsmarter.com/learning/ID...arities.html
and it is perfectly suited for threads just like this. It contains everything anyone needs to know when trying to understand the W/F rotary press rarities.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1727 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add disi123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My suspicions, are, as have been the case with the majority of 596
hopefuls, is, in many cases they've only measured the horizontal perfs
and not the verticals, where, they're surprised to find out they need
to also measure the verticals, to eliminate #'s 579 and 632.

Secondly, for the most part, the majority of these posters are unaware
of the trait of flat press, and never talk about (nor show) the back of
their stamp, to elminate #554... and, quite frankly, from what I have
observed over time, most of them are unaware of the existance of 554...

Valued Member
South Africa
6 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys. I just want to say thanks for all your assist . I found out now how to check the franklin out.
and mine is fake.
Valued Member
South Africa
6 Posts
Posted Today  2 Hrs 48 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
you guys dont need to be sarcastic , im sure when you first started with checking your stamps, u made mistakes. but you learnt!! u found out and asked for advice..eventually u learnt. so im learning, and if you feel like not sharing your knowledge, then just be quiet and not reply. and please keep it to yourself. I dont mean to be rude. but I think one deserver to hear this. thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6190 Posts
Posted Today  2 Hrs 44 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please read all the responses again - everybody is trying very hard to help you.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3480 Posts
Posted Today  37 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While the stamp is not a 596 it is not a fake. Now with the information you have which stamp do you believe it to be and why?
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05