Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Forum Category For Efo

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rismoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can an Errors, Freaks and Oddities forum be added?
I feel as though there could be wider interest in this, if there was a specific category for it, as there is for pre-cancels, and BOB.

I know I have a lot of material I can write about, as that is where my material falls.

I could see it ultimately assisting the cataloging of specific shifts, errors and non-catalog classification.

Thoughts welcome.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CL_Arctos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be awesome and very helpful
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
6800 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   3:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The best way to justify a new forum category is to count how many threads on that topic have been posted over the last 3 months. If it is not a significant number (>25+), than it is not justified.

Beyond that, you have to also consider the fact that the term EFO is not well defined; every collector probably defines it a bit differently. What one person thinks is a badly off-center stamp worthy only of throwing away another person calls a EFO. I can tell you that this would be an nightmare.

Also be aware that developing a new category in results in a large amount of work for people. Someone has to dig through the existing decade of database and pull all the EFO threads out and move them into the new one. This is a significant scope of work and it gets even larger if the desire is to 'split' existing thread when there may only be a few posts specifically on EFOs.
Don
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

I understand what you are saying.
Here are my additional thoughts-

* In a new forum category, I wouldn't abbreviate Errors, Freaks, Oddities exclusively, but instead suffix the forum usage with (EFO) - I know eBay uses this term and it's generally respected properly as a category for seller's listings. Do listings sometimes go into mint/used yes, but that is to be expected. I don't see a lot of moderator burden from misuse.

* In the forum I might add a sticky thread on what constitutes, topics for that category and what the category entails.

* Regarding backfilling - I am not sure this is necessary. The forum could be forward looking, and any topics that have been historically discussed wrt EFO's, are still searchable and probably applicable historically under their initial forum categories. A Modern mint error discussion would be historically relevant under Modern mint category. I don't think the reward on moving old content is worth the effort if it is searchable. The sticky could also mention "Older topics are searchable within the other forum's categories"

* The number of threads on EFO topics over a period of time is a real concern. I am not suggesting the topic, within existing categories, has been historically active (it probably hasn't), but that may also be due to the lack of a defined category. In fact online, including all other major philatelic sites, there is no forum site aligned with this at all. This could be a bust, or the beginning of something really invigorating to this niche. I don't know, and I'll be honest about that upfront.

* I think the audience can also grow also by notifying the EFOCC and announcing it's existence in their newsletter. I think you would see some growth inward from there and other EFO clusters of folks.

I will also add EFOs are fun. People like to look at them, and many more probably have no idea how awesome some of them look. It could spur new hobby interests. I also think that similar to the topical collecting forum, we can post EFOs per stamp, or per category (space, science, etc) and continually add content that way as well.

I think that the new Scott EFO catalog is coming out. Linn's also regularly posts content. Much of this can be synthesized into new relevant topics, so I don't think there is a shortage of discuss ideas. Do I think it's going to generate a ton of new content upon inception. No. But I would definitely help and try to grow the category.

Is there a downside risk to this approach, or can we attempt a relatively low friction experiment? World precancels is not exactly winning contributor awards, and I think we can grow a following organically.
Edited by rismoney - 05/14/2019 5:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   02:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
2069 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unnecessary. The search feature used in the previous post demonstrates it beautifully.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I've never been referred to as a 'search feature' before. I think of myself as a human and my curiosity of looking briefly at some posts and typing them into a reply to aid those wanted to do an actual tally (or for others to add to the list if they wish to do so) is just a starting point - and not an end result of a tally.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3564 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get 2,170 results for "efo" on the search function.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05