Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Anyone Seem A Cracked Plate Example Of A SC #179?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Caper123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up the other day on a whim as it looks like "Old Rough and Ready" was roughed up a bit ... and looked to me like a potential cracked plate example. I was wondering if anyone here has seen one before, and of course your opinions on this one.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CL_Arctos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't had much luck with examples of this stamp, they've all been really poor quality. Regardless of whatever is going on here, this is the best version of #179 I've ever had the fortune of seeing. Interested to see what others have to say.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper123

How does the back of the stamp look? Any evidence of a paper fold?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6190 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an inksmear to me, not really a cracked plate

Peter
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gettinold, the back looks great (aside from the hinge). No sign of any fold.

Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522 - You opinion is certainly valid. I would just add that at the upper and lower part of the 'line' it is not as sharp as I would expect a crack to show up but at the center it becomes rather fine as I would expect a cracked plate to appear.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6190 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper, I guess my computer screen is not showing that. Could you post a close-up of the middle part? I have lots of plate cracks and smears in my collection, and sometimes cracks can look a lot like a smear,

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 05/15/2019 3:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the best I can do for now...
I was referring to the area between the arrows.

When I think of a smeary type crack I think of this Sc #26 example...

Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brookman lists cracked plate as a variety for Scott 179. He describes the following but does not specify this to be the only known variety.

"There is a very prominent cracked plate variety on this stamp that extends vertically thru four stamps and just touches a fifth stamp. It starts at the bottom of the "5" of the top stamp, runs downward through the "0" of ''POSTAGE,'thru the ''I'' of ''FIVE'' of the next stamp, then thru the '' U'' of "U. S." and down the stamp just to the left of the "F" of "FIVE" thru the bottom border, and on the fourth stamp it just touches the upper left corner of the stamp and then goes on thru the margin to just touch the lower right corner of the stamp to the left.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5747 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a crack. Look at his forehead, you can see the dots of his face through the supposed crack. If it was a crack those dots would not be visible and the line would be a much stronger color. Just a bad wipe job.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with rev
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05