Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stanley Gibbons Goes Digitial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
171 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add clivel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
SG has announced the availability of their catalogues in PDF form.
SG Digital Catalogues

There is a reasonable saving over the printed version, e.g the 2019 Commonwealth & British Empire Stamp Catalogue is 62.95 digital compared to 89.95 printed.
However, for those of us in the colonies, the real saving is on postage.

Hopefully, rampant piracy will not force them to put an end to the digital offerings.
Clive
Send note to Staff
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1059 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally would rather have the printed version but the portability of the digital format would be a boon for those who travel, frequent bourses, auctions etc.

As for postage, shop around.

There's a certain well known dealer in the antipodes whose prices are pretty good for the new SG Commonwealth & Empire catalogue when they are released each year.

That said, I still found it cheaper to buy it out of the UK, including postage, and also getting hammered on the exchange rate of course.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 05/15/2019 5:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1102 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw this in email today and I'm very intrigued. The 1840-1970 Commonwealth Clivel mentioned would be amazing to have digitally and more up to date. Makes shopping online easier for me as I can switch from the browser to the catalog very easily. And of course not to mention the additional savings in shipping across the pond.

I actually had high hopes for the Michel online and paid for a year of access. Ultimately I found the Michel too difficult to use with a very unfriendly interface. Sometimes I felt like I was trying to understand listings while looking through a 12-foot tunnel.

Question from a non-Machin collector to confirmed Machinites: Is the GB concise thorough for Machin varieties (for me that means papers, shades, dies, perfs, phosphor bands, and security variations)? I don't feel Scott's is an option for me as I will soon get frustrated with its relative simplicity. I don't currently have a Gibbons of any sort that covers Machins past 1970.
Edited by shermae - 05/15/2019 7:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2294 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The GB concise is mostly complete on perforations, normal/narrow values, color, and phosphor (left, right,center), print types (litho, recess, gravure), and some gum varieties. It is only missing a couple that meet the above criteria.

The next step would be source (sheet, booklet, coil), various papers, screen values, head types, phosphor colors (blue, yellow, violet). I believe some of these are covered in the SG specialized.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/15/2019 8:06 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05