Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two Ceylon Stamp Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

6 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add AC1337 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,

I have just found two of my first ever error stamps and was just wondering what your thoughts of them were. One is quite significant and the other just a small dot of ink above the boatbut I'm over the moon to have found anything really. I've only been collecting for a few months and my collection is all over the place in terms of where the stamps originate but I'm having fun regardless!

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
First stamp, not an error, an EFO, and a minor one at that. The stamp is also damaged.

2. The Ceylon is an absolute "cracker" nice find indeed.
I cannot see how that happened, it is from a comb perforator.
If I had seen that on eBay, I would have been very suspect, thinking perhaps photo shopped.
The only source I can imagine, if this is genuine, is that it is "printer's waste" come on the market.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1102 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's also odd is the left half of the pair has no perfs across the top and possibly across the bottom. Then all the stamps further to the left in the strip have vertical perfs cutting well into the design.
Learn More...
6517 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   8:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see a scan of the back?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1102 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't have my Gibbons handy when I first responded. Gibbons lists 2 versions of this error:

SG 487a is the imperf pair, priced at GPB 48
SG 487b is the imperf pair, one pair imperf on 3 sides, priced at GBP 150

Given what I can see, this appears to be SG 487b however I cannot really see the bottom edge. If it is likewise imperf, this is a strip containing 487b. If the bottom has perfs, it is SG 487a.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right, thanks,
any opinions on how that may have occurred from a comb perforator?

All I can think is perhaps multiple sheets were attempted, and the bottom sheet somehow missed the punctures at that spot.
If the comb pins had broken, (not the boss, they are too heavy) surely the operator would have heard and stopped the machine.

Aha! I was assuming the feed was advancing top to bottom of the vignette,
that defied explanation, however, if we assume the sheet was sideways, and the feed was advancing left to right, then the explanation may have been an advance hiccup, it jumped (for whatever reason) 1 line of stamps.
That has me more confident.

Edited by rod222 - 05/15/2019 10:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3576 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:46 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod! Am going to have to correct your terminology.

It is a corker not a cracker.

Quote:
2. The Ceylon is an absolute "cracker" nice find indeed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1102 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Rod its very strange and interesting.
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AC1337 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that folks! Not bad for my first error stamp I guess... Corker/cracker indeed!

This is the reverse of the stamp. Apologies for the previous poor quality images.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1102 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the new image it's definitely SG 487b
Edited by shermae - 05/16/2019 08:29 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05