Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Information On France Airmail Stamp C27

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

47 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   05:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Prexie3c to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

I am asking this question on behalf of my mate, who collects French airmail stamps.

Is there a resource that contains information on the French airmail stamp C27? By information, I am referring to details such as printing method, number printed, selvage details, varieties and errors, types of essays and proofs etc.

Thanks in advance!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4284 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   05:20 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
His first step should be to get hold of the Spink Maury catalogue of France, which is excellent value. It will show him issue numbers, printing method, any major varieties etc. It also lists epreuves de luxe, but not, post-Sage, other proofs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France
612 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some basic information,according to Yvert catalogue :
blueish paper
engraved ("taille-douce")
perf 13
printing number : 1 137 500
sheet of 10 stamps
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just received my copy of Spink-Maury "Catalogue de Timbres de France 2017" yesterday. So am not up to speed on all of the abbreviations used therein.

The stamp was issued on 16 January 1950. The issue is part of the "stylized scenes, cities of France" series. Catalog nbr 29.

Designer-engraver is A. Decaris. (However, believe J Combet is credited as designer for the "cadre du timbre". Which I take to mean the "frame".)

There is a value given for a non-perforated version.

Addtl values "EPA/EPL", "EPL en brun", "EPL papier bleu".

Issued in sheets of 10.

Hope this helps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As an aside, the Latin phrase at the bottom of the issue translates to "(She) is tossed by the waves but doesn't sink." Paris city motto used since at least 1358. But "credited" in 1853 to Baron Haussmann.
Pillar Of The Community
France
612 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not exactly a variety,but maybe interesting
Here is your stamp with overprint "500 F CFA" for use in Reunion Island (stamp and deluxe proof)

Edited by vayolene - 05/18/2019 09:37 am
Valued Member
47 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prexie3c to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the wonderful responses. So the next step will be to get a French specialized catalog.

I understand there are 2 such catalogs - Maury (as suggested by GeoffHA) and Yvert (mentioned by vayolene). Which would suit my friend's need better?

I did a search on this forum regarding the 2 catalogs but the relevant threads were all a couple of years old, and so I would appreciate new updated insights.

Thanks!

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4284 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   02:47 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that they're both attractive books and much the same price, Maury wins out on detail - all stamps are shown and there is more information about them (issue numbers, varieties etc).
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does Maury also cover the French colonies (specifically African) in more detail than Yvert? I have the Yvert French colony catalog and it is useful, but not particularly detailed in areas.
Pillar Of The Community
France
612 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two Maury catalogues for French Colonies : Europe/Asia (630 pages) and Africa (nearly 1000 pages),more detailed than Yvert
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! Will look for that.
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can purchase the 2018 Maury Spinks catalogue from Amazon for $10.00...for paperback version..
Kindle version also available.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05