Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Search, Using A Text String Limiter?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
External hard drive.
I wish to search every stamp available with the inscription "ULTRAMAR"
Works fine, but I get an annoying clash with "Ultramarine" which increases my sub-set to an unrealistic amount.
Any suggestions how to set a limiter? I tried enclosing in inverted commas, no result. Any other tricks?
Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2086 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Have you tried using a dash?

ultramar -ultramarine
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Postmaster,
No I had not tried that, alas a fail.
It just dawned on me to ask from the software builder first.
I employ "XYPlorer"
I shall go on their forum this afternoon and ask there, and post here.
Thanks, as always, for responding.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2086 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In that case, try these:

ultramar NOT ultramarine
ultramar AND NOT ultramarine
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 05/18/2019 8:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
507 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   9:32 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about trying quotation (") marks?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about trying quotation (") marks?

I tried enclosing in inverted commas, no result.
Trying NOT and AND NOT..............

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"When everything else fails, read the instructions"

My help file in XYPlorer is VAST
still not cracked it but here are a few examples.....

I'll read through tonight and see if I can find a suitable limiter

Pillar Of The Community
United States
921 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rodney

Check out some of these Windows search techniques. If none help, send me a larger version of the tables and I'll see what I can come up with.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc....HkDdfqXjB8g

Did another search for XYPlorer (XYPlorer partial text file search)
https://www.google.com/search?ei=mT....Wv5Gs7zkalY

Jerry B
Edited by jbcev80 - 05/19/2019 07:18 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jerry,
found a workaround whilst I read XYPlorer.
I use Cubic explorer, type ultramar and add a space at the end.
Works fine.
Your links assisted.

PS Ultramar Cuba only.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
921 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rodney

Quote:
type ultramar and add a space at the end

Glad to help.

Sometimes the simplest things are the answer. However, a space at the end is not the real answer, even though it worked. If the stamp had @Ultramar@ (note @ is some ornament) you would not find the stamp.

I would try out various "strings" using the tables you show. There is an XYPlorer help forum where you can ask questions
https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/index.php

Q&A: https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewf...b1f94f00dc07

Jerry B
Edited by jbcev80 - 05/20/2019 05:54 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is an XYPlorer help forum where you can ask questions

Cheers Jerry,
asked the question, 20 have read, no replies,
either a stupid question, or nobody knows

I'll keep reading, I'll get there, no worries.
FYI
most of my software is propriety, I don't use windows explorer.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2086 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I did a little testing. There are several ways to search/filter in XYPlorer -- Quick Search (F3 or magnifying glass icon), Visual Filter (Ctrl + J or blue filter icon), and the Live Filter Box (probably below the main toolbar, has a little gray filter icon at left).

Boolean searches, which is what's really necessary to do what you're looking to do, are only supported in the Visual Filter. Try typing this in the Visual Filter:

ultramar AND !ultramarine

That should search for "ultramar" and excluded (!) anything with "ultramarine".
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Boolean searches, which is what's really necessary to do what you're looking to do, are only supported in the Visual Filter. Try typing this in the Visual Filter:
ultramar AND !ultramarine
That should search for "ultramar" and excluded (!) anything with "ultramarine".

You are a wiz Postmaster!
A little bit clunky, I havn't really mastered it as yet.

I have been using the blue funnel and the blue Magnifying glass
(quick search and visual filter)
First try didn't work (Maybe because it was still working on half a million images.)

Then up she popped, I had one interloper "ultramarino" image from portugal, I can handle that.
Give me some time to read and play around, I think we have lift off.
Fabulous!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
921 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Postmaster

You set a search item to ultramar AND !ultramarine

Would the following be better? ultramar AND !ultramar*

Note the asterisk at the end of the NOT item. That should denote ultramar and nothing following. I use VB.NET RegEx and that is what I would enter in a match statement.

Rodney: I don't blame you for not using Win Explorer. I am so tempted to get my old XP machine fixed Win 7 is a classic case of newer is not necessarily better.

Jerry B
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jerry,
I was dedicated XP user, thought W7 was a step too far, now I could not do without it. No crashes, works fabulously, albeit I need USB 3 badly,
so W10 looks like it's going to be the next step.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll try that.
I always have problems with using software for other reasons than what it was designed for, seem XYPlorer people don't use it for sub sets.

I recall having a 2 million Australian Horse racing database, and we run it through MSWorks database, people thought we were mad, but we had fun with it.

I had a few replies from XYPlorer, they sound like a nice bunch of fellas /lasses.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would the following be better? ultramar AND !ultramar*

Jerry,
failed, as did the XYPlorer help
Sticking with Postmaster's route, awaiting another search name that may bring up similar multiples.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05