Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Poll: Who Else Enjoys Your Collection?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moschophoros to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 11 year old son enjoys looking at my stamps - he now collects US presidents and flag stamps.

As a teacher in NJ I meet students and colleagues from around the world. A teacher from Romania enjoyed my pretty extensive Romanian collection, and students from Nepal are intrigued by my Nepal collection.

I also make themed US stamp collections as gifts for family and friends. Some are: US track and field, Eisenhower, US Mythology Legends and Folkore, US scouting stamps, Lewis & Clark, Statue of Liberty, etc. All are based on the recipient's interests, and I make the pages filled with pictures and information to accompany the stamps. I guess those aren't mine anymore, but they get a wider audience than my own - hope they become conversation pieces or heirlooms one day.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moschophoros: that it a very interesting use of the stamps but I think it is not what the OP was asking. In your situation you are projecting your interest in stamps to someone else who may or may not share the same interest. That certainly could be a start but it is not the same thing as your son is doing which unfortunately I think is uncommon nowadays, at least in the US.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
20 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark1973 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For something I have spent more money on then anything else apart from my house nobody has looked at my collection, as everyone I know has zero interest in stamps :(
Valued Member
Canada
325 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife and extended family are bemusedly supportive. Recognize it as interesting to me and will let me know if they run across something they think I might like. Sometimes they're right, sometimes not :). They do find it of interest when I show them an old cover or stamp with an interesting history.

I collect antique maps additionally, my wife collects antique kitchen stuff, and my teens love old stuff too (they created a little museum in the basement when they were younger) so a family outing to an antique mall is a favourite all around.

My son is "resigned" (his words) to the fact that he will inherit it (the best parts only, plan is I'll dispose of much) on my passing - making him the 4th generation of males in my family to have it. Not sure how interested he'll be, not so much now, but's he's only 18 so as he grows older perhaps he will. And if not, hopefully he'll pass on the good core of the collection to another member of the extended family...
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
640 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most people I interact with daily aren't into stamps, so I find this place a great place to share my collection. When I post my stamps on Facebook, I hardly get a response from people. When I post about food, I get comments.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Allow me to explain the origin of this question as your humble OP.

I returned to philately in December 2018 after a 45 year hiatus largely because of the need to liquidate my in-law's estate. Amidst all the junk (i.e., ten 40-foot roll-off dumpsters full of refuse) was a staggering volume of what I call "desk trash," and among that was a fair number of unused, post-1950 postage stamps and much older covers and postcards. My wife and I shared a common interest in the genealogic content of this stash. That remains her focus as we continue whittling down the hoard. The same activity rekindled my interest in stamps. I was curious primarily about whatever value that could be harvested. We all know the answer to that. For the record, my wife and 18-year-old daughter are aware of my stamp collecting but aren't the least bit curious about it.

No matter. Six months later, I'm hooked, dang it, and find myself devoting secondary income (speaking honoraria and publishing royalties) to stamp collecting. I've begun buying old collections - four and counting, each for an astonishingly minimal sum.

One of these recent acquisitions struck a chord in me. I obtained a Minkus All American album with the typical assortment of modern yet neatly mounted specimens. With more than a twinge of guilt, I began to dissassemble what some (probably) deceased gentleman had spent decades collecting. I coveted the binder as well, but the pages proved to be useless. The mounts could not be removed without damaging the pages. But to a more poigniant point, the pages told a story. The bottom right corner of each page had a red finger print smear. It was obvious: upon the collector's death, his widow sat down with the album, making a causal appraisal that culminated in the collection being donated to the local philatelic society. She applied lipstick that morning, then unconsciously licked her fingers as she turned the pages of the album, as she would any other print document.

So that's the scenario that inspired my question. Pardon my lack of brevity here.
Edited by BFRomeos - 05/19/2019 1:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4167 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only people who seen my collection are the people on various stamp chat boards ,I have had a few friends stop over but it is limited to just looking at bookcases .

Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pennyblackie: I agree with you that it is nice that chat boards like this exist so that collectors from around the world can indulge their interest and interact with one another without feeling that we have to explain or apologize for an ininterest or a passion that strikes us, for whatever reason and from which we have derived benefit for one reason or another. From a personal standpoint I operate in a very stressful field. I have never tested it but I would venture to say that my blood pressure is probably 30-40 points lower while sorting or dealing with the stamps. I have also learned a lot of history and geography from the hobby.

BF: you don't owe me any explanation. I was just curious. But I was struck by your description of taking the Minkus album apart and your consideration, no matter how brief, of the gentleman who put that album together. I have always believed that a collection, more than just assembling disparate items, in a certain way, defines an individual you have never met.

Edited by funcitypapa - 05/19/2019 1:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Overall, I'd say that I've been pretty lucky. I returned to stamp collecting last summer after a 15 year absence and my wife was totally supportive. When I get a new stamp that I'm excited about, she always asks to see it and makes a nice comment. Shortly after returning to collecting, I got a certified, graded 90 MNH Scott 292 Western Cattle in Storm, a stamp that I have coveted since childhood. When it arrived, I showed it to my wife and she asked how much it cost. Expecting the worst, I told her and her only comment was, "Oh, that's pretty."

I'm not even sure my son knows that I collect stamps. Even if he does, his interest would be zero. Anything even remotely intellectual goes against everything he seems to live for. My daughters, on the other hand, have taken a more than passing interest in my collection, especially my youngest daughter. Although she never started a collection of her own, she has shown great interest in mine and has helped me many times to sort and mount stamps. Every time she calls from college or comes in for the weekend, the first thing she asks me is if I have any new stamps and what are they. I've pretty much decided that she will get the complete collection when I'm gone.

My oldest daughter's husband knew that I collected but had never seen it until they were in this past Christmas. He sat with me for several hours looking through it and asking questions. He seemed to show a genuine intrest, especially in the stamps of Italy. He is Italian by birth and has only been in the US for around 6-7 years. When they go to Italy next Christmas, he is going to check with all of the members of his large family for any stamps they may have. I told him to make sure, that if the stamp was old, to not remove it from the cover.

A bit long-winded, but I'm lucky enough to have several family members who have at least some interest in my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1103 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrs DLR is always interested to know what's new in my collecting. It's too bad that she likes NSW square diadems though

Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really have anyone in my life who is interested in my collection. On rare occasions I may show some stuff to visitors, but that's about it.

My uncle was a stamp collector, and in his final years he got to where he couldn't work on his collection anymore. Not long before he passed away, I brought my collection of Esperanto (etc.) stamps and postal history to his house, to show him how it was coming along. It really perked him up; my cousins said that they hadn't seen him so lucid in a long time. He was the one who bought me the very first piece in that collection: a picture postcard of a village with a Zeppelin overhead and an Esperanto inscription from Germany, 1921.

So I'm happy to have online outlets like this, where I can share my finds. Until recently, I had images of my Volapük postcards online, as part of a larger Volapük website, for 21 years. I don't really want to resurrect that website, but I'm thinking about finding a new format and a new venue, so I can at least continue to make the images of my Volapük postal history collection available to the world, on the off chance that someone out there may be interested.
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These facts are a bit sad. That our enthusiasms are not shared at all, that most people in our families just don't care, is pretty depressing in some ways. But what can you do? You can't make people interested in what you do. And I don't have much interest in a lot of the things other people do, so I guess it evens out.

I've collected stamps all my life since about age 9. That's 60+ years. No one in my family, either as a child or today, had or has the slightest interest in stamp collecting. And believe me I tried to interest them in it. But no luck. The amount of time people have expressed an interest in my hobby from my parents, my siblings, my wife, and my children, or even asked to look at my albums, is . . . let me add it all up carefully . . . . "zero". Yeah, a bit sad. But I don't have much interest in their video games or whatever they do with their sad and miserable lives, either! Poor, sad, miserable people that they are. I do like when someone says they've never heard of "Montenegro" or "Botswana" or don't have any idea where the Seychelles are or if Hawaii was ever an independent nation. I know all those answers, and that means they inevitably ask me. "Do you know why I know these things?" I always ask them. Ha! There is some justice at least.
Edited by DrewM - 05/20/2019 12:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1082 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I openly share my collection and interests with everyone I can, whether it is in person or on-line.

My kids are busy with their lives, their jobs and their children. Will they ever express an interest in what I have found so fascinating? I don't know.

What I do know, is that I will never give up trying to interest my family or anyone else I can about the beauty, importance and need to understand the stamps, covers and other material which have moved the mails, the communications between people, in the past and even in the present era.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
169 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in a similar place. No one in my family shows an interest in my collection or collecting activities. It's tolerated by my SO, and I do show her the stamps of her home country (France) when I am working with them. But none of the kids cares at all. I am leaving detailed 'who to call' instructions in each of my albums, but it won't really matter to me when I am gone what happens to them. I am thoroughly enjoying the collection now, and am very thankful to have this forum and all of you for learning and discussions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1143 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never married, no kids that I know of, no living siblings except one with profound developmental disabilities, as my story.

One 1st cousin and several close friends know that I collect. One of the friends travels extensively and sends me postcards from some of her destinations; most recently Ethiopia. None have any real interest in collecting although the cousin enjoys reading material that I send to him (he's a retired M.D.). When the traveling friend's father passed away some 15 years ago, I received his mostly US collection as neither my friend nor her mother wanted it.

I continue to enjoy my collections however and whenever possible. I noted earlier this AM that Rasdale has posted the results of their quarterly auction from May 17. One collection of general Portuguese colonies and one of Portuguese India sold for far over the estimates. After again checking out the scanned pages, I was happy to know that my collections are much better than those two. Hard work pays off!
Edited by Climber Steve - 05/20/2019 2:50 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05