Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Poll: Who Else Enjoys Your Collection?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1559 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No one has seen my current collection, and my wife wishes it didn't exist.

One thought I had, is that in addition to stamps - the philatelic literature that one has, says a lot about what one collects, and who you are. This is very similar to the personalized stamp collections themselves.

I say this just after placing a book order.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My facebook group and the family that can't wait until I'm gone so they can sell it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
8 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ElyCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aspects are my collection are seen and appreciated (I hope) by members of my local stamping fraternity as I have produced several displays for showing at local philatelic societies.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1192 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife sees any new issues because I hand her my own-made album pages, but couldn't care less.

I have exhibited parts of my collection at my club's annual stamp shows, and a few pages at club meetings, otherwise no one has seriously looked at any part of it. And I've been collecting continuously since 1957.
Valued Member
Canada
411 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NBSTAMPER to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of local dealers and one fellow collector are the only ones who have expressed any interest in viewing my stamps. One could say the dealers are self-interested, but I know them well enough to know they really appreciate the chance to look through my albums once in a while.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
342 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My nieces (ages 10 and 12) enjoy looking through my stamps. Sometimes we soak kiloware together as a fun activity.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
172 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great thread to read and I find comfort in all of the experiences.
As others have said, this is another great reason for this on-line community and why I cherish it so.
I have some mixed interest at home, especially when packages come or I bring a box home from the local club.
I do get the old "still working on stamps" question, but also "what's that one" or "that's a beauty".
I share the fun facts that I learn and ask the adult children if they know that __________? (fill in the blank).
Interesting folks also like the catalogs. I had a contractor recently in the house and walked by my desk and just started looking at the page that was open and was fascinated with the stamps displayed. So you never know who might get the bug!
Cheers!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife is extraordinarily tolerant and supportive of my collecting endeavors and occasionally will even help by rending an opinion on hinging, perfs, and general appearance of a stamp. But she has zero interest in stamps other than agreeing about how nice long definitive sets look on a Vario page.

That said, my cat Charlie frequently seems to land on the laptop on my stamp desk when I am working.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3132 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My youngest daughter helped me spot some interesting varieties (fly specking) while she lived with me, but now is off to Australia. My wife tolerates my hobby, but she spends money on her things, and I spend money on mine. It all works out in the end.

I did surprise her with the work I put into her father-in-law's Newfoundland stamps. He passed, and I got several bags of stamps that he collected from friends. I created some pages dedicated to him, which showed the varieties. She was very impressed. Not worth much, but the idea was to showcase his collecting interests, and she very much appreciated it.

Where will it end? Who knows. My youngest is somewhat interested, but very far away. A grand-daughter is one potential, as I've noted that in my family, at least, interest seems to skip a generation. Still many more years to go until we see where it goes. Good luck to all!
Edited by Partime - 06/20/2019 01:20 am
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a wife and two grown daughters. Three grandkids no older than 6. The grown members of my family know I have a stamp collection, where it is, and that it's fairly valuable. No one has shown a great interest with the exception of a son-in-law who has an appreciation for history, and I think he was mostly just trying to be nice (Thanks Matt). I have left them detailed instructions on how best to dispose of my collection when the time arrives. I've compiled a notebook that recreates pages in my stamp album, the Scott numbers, and retail value. I've told them what to expect from dealers, auction realization, sale on eBay, and leave it to them to decide how to turn the stamps into cash. I hope they are able to get a decent return on my investment and feel fairly confident they won't be taken advantage of. One son-in-law is well acquainted with selling on eBay and they are all fairly intelligent people. My wife doesn't need the $'s.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like this thread gathered a second wind recently, which is appreciated. When asked about her potential inheritance of my collection, my eighteen-year-old daughter asked that I liquidate it myself before it becomes a probate matter. I'm okay with that. I'll maintain and fortify my spreadsheet inventory in anticipation of that day.
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ursa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Dad, who's 76 now, was a stamp collector and really enjoys looking through my new Steiner page albums--a huge upgrade from the old Harris WW albums we both got started with.

At least my Dad doesn't have to worry about what'll happen to his collection! There's an old hardbound Traveler album, two Ambassadors, and a small paperback album--all chock-full of vintage stamps. I hope it's many, many more years before they become part of my collection.

My sister isn't interested in stamps, but does love my coin and currency collection. Some of the old currency in there are notes she pulled from circulation and presented to me as gifts.
Edited by Ursa - 06/25/2019 5:19 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
68 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody has sat down and looked at my collection in its entirety; which is somewhat, maybe oddly satisfying at times, and sort of sad in another sense. I do post some of the "nicer" stamps I've bought on Facebook from time to time which has generated responses ranging from crickets to some mildly stimulating chatter; but most of my friends really don't understand or care what an unused US 132 or 191 means to a collector.

I've also hoped that maybe just one person would take an interest in collecting stamps or say one of their kids had a collection going to help pass along some duplicates and filler that I've been piling in to stock books, but have yet to pique anyone's interest.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2626 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   8:05 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife doesn't really care, but she likes that I can sell some stuff on eBay. My four old twins will come by and see a colorful stamp or cachet and say "pretty" before running off the play with their pony toys.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1447 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Warning: inspirational message ahead.

Like most other posters in this thread, I also have no one in my immediate family that has ever expressed any interest in any of my collections.

However...

Over a decade ago, I decided to translate what I had collected over many long years into some useful, comprehensive catalogs. Each one dealt with a particularly arcane area of stamp or label collecting.

Now, after over a dozen books have been published, I like to think that there are actually many hundreds of collectors that have seen and enjoyed what are, for the most part, my collections.

This number is based on how many copies of each book have been sold, over the years.

The point is, perhaps broaden your horizons with who your audience for your collection enjoyment might be.

It might, eventually, turn out to be a pleasant experience for you.

Jim
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05