Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Poll: Who Else Enjoys Your Collection?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Learn More...
71 Posts
Posted 06/30/2019   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, what general area of Tampa are you in? I'm in Riverview. Have not seen Funcitypapa back on since his post...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 06/30/2019   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in Citrus Park near the mall. Lived in Valrico for a bit over 20 years before downsizing and moving out here.

I was adding some repartee to get you to 50 posts faster

Funcitypapa is around; he's perhaps more selective about the threads he participates in then I am.

So how did you get into collecting?
Valued Member
Learn More...
71 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, have been looking for places/reasons to up the post count without being too obtrusive. Started collecting in elementary school; the school I went to had "hobby" classes every other week for an hour (stamps, coins, models, cooking, etc...) to give us young'uns an introduction to various hobbies. I chose stamps, and collected for a few years until girls became more interesting (as happens,) and also got to the point where my allowance didn't really allow me to fill many spaces.

Took up the hobby again a couple of years ago after seeing a Harris Liberty album that reminded me of my old collection and off I went, again!

How about you?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I seemed to naturally have an interest and expressed it to my parents when I was about 8. That December I got a Traveler's stamp album kit as a gift. Within the year I was mostly focused on British Commonwealth.
Valued Member
Learn More...
71 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And you've been at it ever since, or have you taken a break like I did for 30+ years?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On and off but did not take a break for 30 years. Stayed with it until I was 21 then stopped for a few years but picked it up when I was around 24 or 25, albeit in a limited way. I sold that collection when I was 28 but from age 31 to now (59) I've been all-in like a Flush on the River.
Valued Member
Learn More...
71 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would like to see your collection; have not ventured out in to world stamps, yet; but likely will at some point soon.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be great, I would be delighted. My collection is not as well organized as others as I have been in acquisition mode for awhile and limited on time to "curate." But I have tons of sets in various types of stock cards and a few collections purchased at auction which have primarily MNH material (KGVI, Venezuela Arms & Industries which I believe to be complete MNH). I will invite Funcity over at the same time.

Speak of- there is a local stamp club that I've attended twice and which Funcity visited with me last week. It was a hit or miss kind of thing- there were a lot of guys who seem to be looking for nickel stamps in boxes but 2-3 who seemed very engaged and who I want to befriend. The club meets this Monday at 7 PM, doors open at 6, and it's held in North Tampa in the Forest Hills area. Funcity may or may not attend this time, but I plan to as I am picking up an order of 102B cards.

Perhaps if it's not too far off the path for you you might want to check it out with me. Honestly, I am not sure it has a future, but I am hoping we can create a group of 5 or 6 "engaged" collectors to hang with to talk stamps and socialize. Funcity is am amazing guy- his knowledge of American history and it's relationship to philatelics is beyond extraordinary.

In the interim, get yourself to 50 posts so we can connect in email and take things from there.
Valued Member
Learn More...
71 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this should be my 50th... Would be interested in attending Monday, and thanks. Happy 4th as well!
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andyrich74: congrats on reaching your 50th post. Shermae and I have been communicating privately in anticipation of all three of us getting together. Why don't you send me an email providing a little more specific information about yourself and what your collecting interests are to speed the process. Shermae and I had a few back and forths before we ever met in person. You will find he is very friendly, easy to talk to, and has a wealth of knowledge in many fields and philatelically emphasizes British commonwealth, but not exclusively. He is more focused on Worldwide collecting and comparatively less on US, whereas I started collecting US exclusively, then inherited a partially filled Blue international album of I believe 1930's vintage which then
sparked my immersion into WW issues. Shermae's collecting, he has told me, is more heavily swayed towards
Post 1940 issues and I generally stop there, although naturally that is a very general statement for both of us. Regardless, it is good for me to hear from him about things I would otherwise know nothing about and we both feel that sharing the hobby with others is one of the true joys of collecting.
Edited by funcitypapa - 07/04/2019 3:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1543 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Believe it or not - my wife. She has taken serious interest in my MNH duck stamps. She is an artist and is well aware of the Hauptmann brothers. She wants to enter the contest some day.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
504 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I own a bookstore and often work on my collection at my desk in the store when I have time. I get lots of interest from random people who walk by. I've gotten to know other stamp collectors in town. I get stories of people collecting stamps as a kid. Lots of questions about the pile of mint stamps they've accumulated/inherited and do they have any value. I've even gotten some really nice collections from people who dug them out of an attic.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not really. An occasional guest takes an interest for a few minutes, and sometimes I'll post something on Facebook that will get a little reaction. But it is mostly for me.
Member American Philatelic Society & American Topical Association
Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No one but myself has any interest in my collection.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05