Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tagging Error Identification Site.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you are new at collecting Canadian stamps, or a pro..There are tagging varieties that do not appear in the Unitrade Catalouge.

Remember, if Unitrade put every tag, variety, etc. in their Catalouge, it would be a book a foot deep.

Below is an every day Scott 2011 "Flag over Edmonton AB" stamp..

Now when I put it under 2 different lights, you can see 2 short bars either side of the stamp...See below.

The only way to find this error is to go to " Adminware tagging site as shown below...It is a great database.
https://adminware.ca/tagging/index.php

It should be a G4 tag as shown below and the G5 tag that it really turns out to be a tagging error.

Here is the definition of the G5 error tagging.

Check the site out....Canadian tagging error collectors can't live without it.

Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I had an error like that once, but then found that some nasty scotch tape was covering part of the stamp, hence part of the tagging. I'll have to check out that site. Thanks for posting.

Edit: I found my old post

http://goscf.com/t/40153
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Partime - 05/18/2019 11:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
571 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, good info for tag chasers to know. I use that site a lot also.

I do have a question regarding the tag on the particular stamp shown. Is there a possibility that the plastic in the tape is filtering the uv from flourescing the tagging, and causing that particular variety on the stamp you show. The size of the bars and everything is directly correlated to the tape covering the tagging. I do know that some plastics and glass filter uv from penetrating.

Have you tried removing that tape to see if what was underneath glowed as normal? I must try that tonight on a cheap duplicate and see if it replicates that when I get home.

Edit: P.S. Robert, I am not trying to discredit your show and tell as it is useful information; but rather just suspect of the sample you show having the scotch tape over it.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 05/18/2019 10:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike...I did not even see the tape, going to soak it and see what is underneath.

Here is another one..This Scott 2249 was supposed to be a G4, but has a G4bTR...Is this an error..?

Robert

Edited by wert - 05/18/2019 10:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
571 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I definately wont tell you that it is not an error. It is unusual for sure. The image is a bit grainy and it appears as having ever so light traces of yellow on the left and bottom, possibly tag trace or color from a yellow envelope. Or is that reflection?

I just polished off a couple of boxes of those defins and have not found any. Unlucky in tag dept. I think they may have been gone through before as they appeared salted with other older issues and clumps of similars together. mixed in.
Edited by No1philatelist - 05/18/2019 11:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought I had an error like that once, but then found that some nasty scotch tape was covering part of the stamp

Partime..I soaked the stamp all night..The paper came off the back ok, but the tap top and bottom remained...I suppose the glue on the tap affected the tagging...I would also think the chemical part of the tap would also affect the ink, but did not...

Just through it back in the bin and go forward.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
383 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add studystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First, scotch tape does "hide" the underlying tagging. I have almost never had any luck removing scotch tape from a stamp, even during prolonged soaking. I just throw out any stamp that has scotch tape on it; not worth the effort.

Second (going back a bit in this thread), tag type G5 is for a normal type of tagging. It is not the result of an error (i.e. tag shift, etc.). There are not many examples of this normal tagging on Canadian stamps.

Third, the tagging on the Lighthouse definitives is purposely 'strong' on the top and right sides of the stamps. The left and bottom tagging bars will appear "fainter" because it is comprised of small waves of water - it is not solid on these two sides.

Wert: Your image of the Lighthouse tagging does show faint tagging on the left and bottom. A tag error that is missing the tagging cannot show any tagging at all.

Robin Harris
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Robin..Understood.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The term "G5" seems to be counter intuitive seeing as there are only 2 bars. Why not use a suffix with "G2"? Example: G2i where "I" = inset

Just my opinion.

Peter
Edited by pwscg - 05/19/2019 2:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One last stab at it..I soaked the stamp with tap top and bottom in an ACETONE bath for an hour,,Should have soaked it for 10 mins only...Destroyed the stamp...BUT, tap came off.Left light tagging left and right as per first picture..

Tried it, would not recommend it.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
1998 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why did you happen to choose acetone?
As opposed to lighter fluid or Pure Citrus or similar.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why did you happen to choose acetone?

I knew acetone was a paint remover, and thought it might work...Not a good choice John.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
571 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, Kudos, and I have to give you points for trying to remove tape. Unfortunately it took the print, face and tagging right off the stamp. It is usually almost unsuccessful as Robin mentioned and also depending on type and length of time it was adhered to stamp. Have had a few and tried and it ended badly, just wasted my time. John's suggestions may have been a better alternative, like bestine.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 05/20/2019 10:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your right Mike..But worth a try.

Here is another so called tagging error..See picture below....Perf shifted 2.5mm.

Now the new collectors nay think this tagging is an error as shown below.

They may think it is a G4aL tgg, but it is in reality a G4 tagging.

My suggestion is visit the Adminware tagging site..LOTS of information available.

https://adminware.ca/tagging/index.php
Pillar Of The Community
1998 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Solvent: My original solvent post was intentionally vague to elicit your thinking, and as you found, the oxygen atom in acetone acts similar to water, thus not very effective for tape removal. The distilled petroleum-based solvents containing no oxygen are much more effective - like lighter fluid, heptane, Bestine, Pure Citrus, etc. Or more technically, the "non-polar" solvents work better, used sparingly with good ventilation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6217 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ya, just thought I would give it a try John..You never know, right..?

But like Robin said..Chuck them in the garage..

Robert

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05