Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Focus On "Worth"

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4059 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gibbons and Yvert are still businesses selling stamps and issuing catalogues thereof.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2926 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are fewer buyers for arcane/specialized material. Many less. Cherrystone has these types of lots often and they are a very tough sell. Give me BC over Lithuanian airmail perf varieties any day if I need to achieve a decent realization. Somebody pursues material that is not often seen but will not get in a bidding war over it and then expects there to be an upside? Huh
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam, noone knows what the future brings. If you are going to collect with a hint of future appreciation, outside of enjoyment, you are better off focusing on either quality, rarities or both. Let's say I own 1/50 type rarities. In 25 years from now will they all be gone? Might I have the best copy, that when the stamp collecting craze in 2030 in China, folks will pay 10x? Doubtful, but I know the upside possibility is better than buying 1000 200M printed stamps. Might the rarities be coveted or just more eBay fodder?

Are there examples of stamps that have appreciated across all avg to better qualities in major multiples? 5x 10x, 50x? I know the gem market is a specific niche case, but outside of that?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2926 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A rarity is only valuable if people want it. There are plenty of stamps that were issued in low quantity and always go cheap. Guam overprints come to mind. Stick with quality items that are popular and you will do ok.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4447 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having bought and sold collectibles of many types over my lifetime, I believe that "value" is a way for a noncollector to be able to measure whether something is rare or not. It's a unit of measurement they understand without having to know the nomenclature or intricacies of a given hobby, e.g., "population" or "rarity scale".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2926 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice shirt Rev. Cost a lot?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2338 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is natural for some people to focus on worth. You run into these types everywhere. In any conversation on any topic they are often talking about what a good deal they got.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/22/2019 06:58 am
Valued Member
Canada
325 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very true. I knew a guy that every time you asked him about his recent vacation, felt compelled to tell you in detail how much everything cost - the hotel, the meals, the airfare - and what a deal this or that expense was. Not about the interesting stuff - what he actually did or saw!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3631 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Maybe he was just trying to pre-empt the guy who would ask him what he paid, and then say "I could have gotten you all that for less".

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United Kingdom
181 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the value side is important for a lot of people -- it certainly is for me.
Having said that, I'm rather poor so havent got the funds to buy the expensive items.
But the more I collect, the more I focus on various aesthetic aspects (but its very hard to divorce the financial aspect of these).
For example, there are some really beautiful stamps that are catalogued at 10p each, and there is no way I'd bother to keep more than few copies of them, whereas if some really ugly stamp has a CV of 100+, I'd keep (or sell) all the copies I could find.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A follow up to my post of the other day where I discussed the Wembley Stadium Smiler sheet with the "Emile" error, which is an example of a quite rare item with a fairly low "value". I paid about $100 for it, so using the current first class letter rate in the UK, and the current dollar to pound exchange rate, that's only about 6 times the face value, and only about 3 times the current price in the SG catalogue for the normal sheet (the error sheet is not listed in the Concise GB catalogue). So, I didn't pay a fortune for it and if worst came to worst I could sell them to my UK friends as postage and will not have lost that much. On the flip side is the iconic 5 pound Queen Victoria which is fairly common, but very expensive. There were nearly a quarter million of these printed, not that many fewer than a lot of recent Danish commemoratives, but as I write this there are about 30 or 40 for sale on eBay selling for anywhere from about $1500 at the low end to over $20,000, so there are two examples showing that there is a huge disconnect between scarcity and value.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4447 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   08:17 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "disconnect", as you call it, is demand. That is the critical factor that outweighs all others.

As previously mentioned, iconic stamps such as dollar-value Columbians and sets of Zeps are not rare or even scarce. I can have my pick of them at any stamp show I walk into. All I would need is money. That's not rare. It's demand mixed with longstanding status as "key items" of philately.
Learn More...
6643 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   08:24 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in-process with assigning cover values for the new HPO catalog.

There are many HPO covers which are very rare, less than 200-300 hundred were originally cancelled and who knows how many still exist. Yet you can occasionally find them in the $1 boxes. So while the covers are rare, so are the people who want them. Hence, I am assigning a catalog value of just a few dollars.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3631 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... demand ... is the critical factor ...

Quote:
... So while the covers are rare, so are the people who want them ...

If you want what everyone else wants, stamp collecting is a rich man's hobby.

Q/ Guess what happens if you develop your own interests?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who continues to rut about the dollar boxes, happy as a pig in slop)

Edited to clarify context.
Edited by ikeyPikey - 05/25/2019 1:07 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
181 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone wants to buy cheap and sell dear.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05