Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postal Card Alaska 1933 Juneau

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
187 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pisti1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning
I can't find anything about a correspondence from Alaska, I thank and greet Simone

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1536 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive, though the card seems to be overpaid. Someone here will know better than I.

My 1934 Postal Guide only talks about steamship service to/from Alaska, so I am guessing it went from Juneau to Seattle by steamship, then carried by air to (probably) New York. There was no regular transatlantic airmail service then. The agreements were to carry mail first by steamship to Europe. In the case of Italy, that would be via France (at least in 1934, but that seems to be the case in 1933). Those events would explain the somewhat long transit time to Paris overall. Then, with airmail service paid for (3c per half oz. additional for Italy, in 1934, perhaps more in 1933), this would indeed have been flown from France to Italy.

And perhaps someone can tell us about the "V"(?) marking on the back.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 05/20/2019 9:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first air mail service from Juneau to the US (Seattle) was June 22, 1940 so hy-brasil is correct that it would have gone by boat from Juneau to Seattle then likely get put into the domestic airmail system across the US then by boat to France then by train to Paris where it was backstamped at the Paris North Airport which indicates it would have gone by air either partly or all the way to Trieste. I agree that the postage seems to be overpaid for such a service but I am not an expert in adding up the various parts of the trip.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05