Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Needing Help To Identify This Washington A140 Stamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thank you every one!!
That is a lot of info to think about.
It is a complex study of a stamp with a lot of facets so interesting.
What I'm thinking about to do next is check again if there is a watermark .
maybe I missed something.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Dan Townsend - 05/21/2019 01:09 am
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok update here is a kicker I think I found a watermark I think.
How did I miss it !!!

Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
>> "The perfs are vertical, so it is a "vertical coil,"

Just to clarify, so Dan is not further confused, the stamp is a horizontal coil.
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Germania;
Im totally confused that's ok nothing new,but now I think I should have a consensus on if this stamp is type I or type II and why it is. Also if the book tells you size matters why some people don't think so.
I will try to brake it down with the process of elimination.
Is it a horizontal because of the watermark?
Now that I look at the watermark it doesn't look like a "S" or a"P" or a "U" it looks like 3 or a 8.
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Hi everyone now that I got some help from cfrphoto
http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa..._03main.html
I think this stamp is a type II
and here are the reasons .
#3 The toga rope is better defined than the type I not much but it is finer.
#5 the middle right ribbon is more defined in type II not one shading.
#6The horizontal line between cheek and side burns are joined in type II than type I.
and #9 the lock of the hair do not extend.
If there is some thing wrong in this reasoning let met know.
Check in the stampsmarter with link I provided to see .
I should take a better closeup pics to cross exam maybe.
Thanks Dan

Edited by Dan Townsend - 05/21/2019 12:40 pm
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here's some closeups

Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have 1 stamps that look good a 454 .But this is a vertical coil and germania says its horizontal coil.
Still confusing ,Im getting closer maybe.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   3:18 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp is a horizontal coil, or a "sidewise" coil. The perforations are vertical. The watermark, part of an S reads vertical, at sidewise to the design to the design. A vertical or "endwise" coil would have horizontal perforations and, if watermarked, a horizontal watermark reading horizontally. Perhaps this information should be incorporated in Stamp Smarter using pictures. Some viewers, like some posters here, may not be familiar with available stamp formats of the era and terminology associated with each. Identification is easier the basics of stamp production are explained.

In the post above, the lock of hair referenced in #9 is the pair of curved hairs above the back half of the arrow pointing to a lock of straight hairs, partially hiding George Washington's ear.

Edited by cfrphoto - 05/22/2019 12:59 am
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks cfrphoto
Good to know its a horizontal coil so most likely the perforations were cut off .
I guess there is a agreement that this stamp is a type II .
I just noticed I can see the watermark without the lighter fluid a very slight image .
I think using Stamp smart is good I could organize my pictures with my there's which would be nicer and easier to see what is going on.
This series of stamps is a big hurtle for people to understand without pictures.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
979 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reference my post (last post first page) for some other characteristics for distinguishing differences between type I,II,III on rotary press coils.

http://goscf.com/t/42370
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank You AI.Gator
Very interesting I don't know what to say but this seems to be a problem with identifying these stamps.

Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone
I think I have a update on the watermark .
Here is a pic of the stamp before the dipping in lighter fluid I darkened it and have one not darken.
I be leave its just residue of ink or maybe pencil lead the shape is not there, for any letters and it doesnt run to the edge of the stamp its not crisp like the other watermarks I have seen.
I my be wrong but that would a answer to why I can not find what this stamp is .The question is would you even see a watermark without the fluid?
The first one is the first one with lighter fluid
second one darken without lighter fluid
and the third dipped in lighter fluid

Edited by Dan Townsend - 05/21/2019 10:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   01:24 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good to know its a horizontal coil so most likely the perforations were cut off.

US coil stamps of the period were imperforate on two sides and were sold in rolls. No perforations were cut off.

With an influx of new collectors who may not have seen postal products like coil rolls, a picture of a complete coil would be helpful. The image below is of a partial roll of a 1 rotary press vertical coil and a partial roll of a 5 horizontal coil:

Edited by cfrphoto - 05/22/2019 01:33 am
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all thank you cfrphoto for your contribution .
Nice to know how these rotary stamps were done.
I have been busy trying to find out if this stamp is a type 1 or type 2
so far Im 99% sure its a type 2.
This is why and how I figured it out I just happened to have type 1's and I compared them to my stamp
Here are some points or difference's there are.
I think the biggest difference is the shading of washington's hair.
The next thing was the hair next to the face the line's or checking was thicker in the type 1's.
I have to run to the doctors now, when I get back I will show you some pic'c to the best example's.
sorry to leave you hanging will be back.
Dan
Valued Member
159 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Im back
Here is what I see
first one was a type I
second was a type I
third was a type II a big difference I think

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05