Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Needing Help To Identify This Washington A140 Stamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is were I'm at I have just four choice's .
A 491 no watermark vertical perforations if this watermark is right its going the wrong way it should be a horizontal perforation's.
A 454 with watermark same as the top one the watermark is going the wrong way but it does have a watermark best bet.
Another one would be the 487 but this one you need no watermark so that doesn't work.
And the last one 539 ,a long shot the perforation are 10 and it all so is vertical but this one has to have no watermark.
So if you have a watermark or none ,so that's the choice's
It doesn't look like any one here.
This is crazy

A
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Dan Townsend - 05/23/2019 1:51 pm
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Again ever one nothing like beating a dead horse again
but I think you might find this really interesting .
I decided to take a closer look at that watermark and take a look what I found.
I will let you decide but I think its a real discovery.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2962 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What?
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this stamp has ink bleeding through these pin holes that is your watermark
The post marks are exactly at the same spots.
So it got wet and it bled.
That's what I think is going on, I might be wrong but what are those holes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5836 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's also a WWI era paper, which sometimes has a lot of shadows.
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks revcollector
Maybe what happened the person went to the post office bought a stamp
licked the stamp then had it postmarked .
It looks like something like sand or something grainy was on the stamp it poked
little holes in it that caused the ink to bleed .This could happen when the ink was fresh
the image of the postmark is very grainy also.
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this stamp I think is interesting it has all the same things the other stamp has
same perf 10 same vertical perf and it looks like type II.
I think around neck the toga rope is more defined in one but the color as you can see is brighter on one.
Are they the same stamp, what do you think?
I have this identification guide 2013 and they say the 454 has a watermark and in the Scott's catalog there is no watermark that I could tell ,I find this funny ,
was it once and now it's changed into what who is wrong.?
very confusing
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this stamp I think is interesting it has all the same things the other stamp has
same perf 10 same vertical perf and it looks like type II.
I think around neck the toga rope is more defined in one but the color as you can see is brighter on one.
Are they the same stamp, what do you think?
I have this identification guide 2013 and they say the 454 has a watermark and in the Scott's catalog there is no watermark that I could tell ,I find this funny ,
was it once and now it's changed into what who is wrong.?
very confusing
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
979 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
453,454,455 all have single-line watermarks. They can be illusive to find sometimes. 491,492 have no watermarks. All are rotary press productions. Color can vary at production and after production due to how the stamp was handled/stored etc. over the past 100 yrs. Can not tell by your images (too small) whether the two are the same in appearance--heavy cancellation can sometimes be a hindrance too. I'm assuming you're thinking these are both rotary and not flat plate printings. The attached give you a guide for flat, rotary and off-set printed issues (they are not off-set issues).

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...ntifier.html
Edited by Al E. Gator - 05/24/2019 9:41 pm
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are really helpful AL;
They are rotary
I thought the bottom stamp had a watermark but Im not sure anymore I had another member Revcollector tell me, a lot of these stamps have shadows.
The first one I thought didnt have a watermark .Will show a picture you be the judge .
The second stamps is so much lighter than the first one maybe just age fading.
The ink on the first one is a little thicker I looked at both and they have incredible detail one not so much ink.
.This picture is high lighted for more detail this is the first one.

This is the second one
The first one I just redid it a little a close it looks very much like the dark spots that are bleeding.

Edited by Dan Townsend - 05/25/2019 12:42 am
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here'e a larger look of the stamps

Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again;
My search I think is ending and the last resort was to try wet scanning.
Which lukusw blog and Historical DNA last resort collector helped me in doing,
I was worried about the flammability so if you do it be real careful.
The first stamp the problem stamp that had a shadow , I tried first wet scanned it and when I did it ,I saw no watermark so what the heck is going on .
So I did many other scans with the same result no watermark or shadow .
So I need to try it on a stamp that I knew had a watermark
and sure enough the watermark was there.
I tried another stamp that I knew had watermarks was there, sure enough
there was a watermark .
So I conclude this shadow stamp it's got to be a 491 because of no watermark and its a type II it has
vertical perforation and a rotary stamp.

Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been reading all of the feedback on the OP's supposed "coil stamp", and maybe I am the only one who feels that the bottom may have trimmed perforations; the bottom edge looks very suspicious to me. Of course, some rudimentary measurements could easily confirm or dispel this theory.
Edited by Reedededge - 05/28/2019 10:26 pm
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What are the measurements I could tell.
Thanks Reedededge
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   10:57 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the bottom may have trimmed perforations; the bottom edge looks very suspicious to me.

Don't overthink Washington/Franklin stamp ID. Once the type established, and it was as a type II, the stamp cannot be a flat plate sheet stamp.

The key attributes of the stamp, including color, printing quality, design size, margin size, die type, paper, perforation alignment and general appearance point to Scott 454 with a vertical watermark.

I went back and looked at the original image from the OP. Type II characteristics are visible, despite the small size of the images. The watermark on the lower left corner of the back image is readily apparent. Scott 491 examples are found on a coarse, less bright paper of variable thickness, as are some Scott 454 examples.

Direct examination by an expert and VSC-6000 or equivalent is needed to confirm that no watermark exists. While faint partial "S" shadows exist on some unwatermarked paper, an expert should be able to tell the difference.

There is no need to speculate, invent varieties that cannot exist or misread the Scott catalog. I doubt if any expertizing committee would accept the stamp as a Scott 491.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05