Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Proposal To Adapt The Term "Neophilately" Into Our Nomenclature In This Forum

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add shermae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am deliberately posting this in the eCommerce forum. There is an ongoing discussion regarding the question of whether Amos is in touch with current trends in philately.

More and more, it is apparent to many of us here that philately is becoming a virtual hobby. For many younger collectors, the internet may be the most enticing way to engage in the hobby.

As such, I am making the proposal that the term "Neophilately" be adapted as a term meant to describe the new age of our hobby. Collectors participating primarily through the internet should, I propose, but called "Neophilatelists."

Neophilately is a very different sport than philately. Neophilatelists don't attend stamp shows, don't read Linn's, don't belong to the APS, and don't subscribe to many of the traditional conventions associated with philately.

To better position it, what else would you add to the definition of Neophilately?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With respect, I don't think such a distinction is meaningful. People are just using - in philately as in all other facets of life - modern technologies and ways of communicating about their interests and hobbies. There's also not a firm divide on this. Historically some stamp collectors have pursued it in "private" (my father & grandfathers among those), whereas currently some collectors - such as myself - are primarily online, but also attend stamp shows/auctions, read stamp publications (both printed/digital), etc.

An analogy that I think is useful - we didn't coin a new term for music-lovers every time people switched their primary mode of appreciating music - from live to radio, to records, to CDs, now to digital streaming. Similarly, we don't call people who love to read "e-readers" or "paper readers" based on how they consume their literature.

Whether some stamp publishers are conversant/prepared for these changes in technology/communication preferences is a great question, and most likely some of them will not survive that transition - as we've seen in many industries.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4284 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   02:55 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What one might characterise as neo-philately could be the collection of images of stamps, rather than stamps themselves. After all, I keep interesting pictures from the web in files, rather than purchasing prints or owning original photographs. I wonder whether many people do this with stamps instead of maintaining a physical collection?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question! I collect the real thing first and foremost, but I do save images of particularly interesting or attractive stamps that I see online, even if they're from places or topics that I don't collect per se. I make a point of saving all the images of postal history written in Volapük that I find on the Web, though I also try to buy the actual items if they're still for sale and within my budget.

"Virtual philately" might be a fitting term for the collecting of stamp image files.
Edited by erilaz - 05/21/2019 04:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4284 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   04:44 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing to do with this, but, for your Esperanto collection, have you read The Confidential Agent?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The...ential_Agent

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I detest breaking up people into boxes. We are all philatelists. Who cares how we do it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2493 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wait, many have not agreed on what philatelist means!!
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3743 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
gmot said it well.

A another example, Mr Spielberg seems to be backing-off an effort, attributed to him, to keep a firm line between movies released thru theaters-before-streaming and movies released direct-to-streaming.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to add that everyone participating in SCF is engaging in Neophilately. Rather than attending local stamp clubs, we are all interacting with other collectors online via blogging, selling, buying, etc.

It may not be nice to create categories of people, but hey even in elementary school many of us were placed in classes based on our aptitude. If we all seek to understand the trending and future of our hobby I would argue we have to suspend a certain degree of decorum.
Edited by shermae - 05/21/2019 08:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4355 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have a few "Neophilately Experts " here these are people who are concidered experts by a vast group of readers on this chatboard . The never show their own material and they never have the stamps that they are EXPERTS about . Plus I don't think even have reference books about the subject they are EXPERTS about!

They really are experts at finding stuff on the internet and know how to link it here . They get a lot of thank you's and come across as experts .

Years ago when stamp chatrooms started we use to have a different kind of stamp expert ,these were people who can answer questions and like being called "experts" as long as the answer could be found in a stamp catalog . I would call them "CATALOG QUEENS" ,now with the internet ,they can be called "NEOPHILATELIC EXPERTS"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1173 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Neophilately is a very different sport than philately. Neophilatelists don't attend stamp shows, don't read Linn's, don't belong to the APS, and don't subscribe to many of the traditional conventions associated with philately.

Sorry, I don't really see the point. I submit that the majority of paleophilatelists in days gone by also did not attend shows, read Linn's, belong to the APS, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2987 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp stores are gone. Also, stamp shows, stamp clubs, and hard copy stamp publicationss are quickly dying.

The old model is gone, so there is no need to add "Neo".
Valued Member
India
304 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I fully agree with floortrader.
Frustrating but absolutely true.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2493 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you mean if someone posts an image of a stamp and asks for information and someone provides information without showing their collections of similar stamps first are people to be mocked and ridiculed?
Al
Edited by angore - 05/21/2019 5:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neophilately is like the "New Math" of the 1960's. 2+2 still = 4, but it was the New Math.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05