Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Proposal To Adapt The Term "Neophilately" Into Our Nomenclature In This Forum

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4448 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   7:25 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread is a solution in search of a problem. Why does any distinction need to be drawn at all? People collect differently. 'Nuff said.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2933 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nothing to do with this, but, for your Esperanto collection, have you read The Confidential Agent?

Thanks for the tip; I'll have to check it out. I do enjoy references to Esperanto and Pseudo-Esperantos in books and films; I just recently saw a film called The Statue from 1971, in which David Niven played the inventor of an international language called Unispeak.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1082 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, then, if I am an on-line participant - as in eBay, stampauctionnetwork or SCF, that would make me a neophilatelist.

But that's not all...

How would you pigeonhole me since I'm also a member of a dozen national organizations, go to stamp stores, shows and auctions, as well as being the president of our local stamp club?

Nah, interesting notion perhaps, but in the end I think it's more mental gymnastics as I believe that HOW you participate does not DEFINE what you are - we're all philatelists.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   9:22 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had intended to ignore this thread because I dislike the word "neo", a word-forming element. I don't see it relevance to modifying the word "philately". Any stamp collector may become a philatelist by carefully studying stamps or covers. There is no need to modify the word "philately" to include the means, whether paper or electronic. The result, acquiring knowledge, is the same. Please keep in mind that stamp dealers must make enough profit selling to collectors to make up for losses selling to philatelists.

I also wanted to respond to floortrader's comment about virtual experts. Few collectors have high quality images stashed on their hard drive. Or, they may not have the means or time to create images from their collection. One result of selling on eBay for fifteen years and creating presentations for stamp shows or the APS Summer Seminar is thousands of images on my hard drive. Also, high resolution images of stamps and covers from expertizing studies add to the collection. As the images become more organized and better annotated, they form the core of a virtual reference collection. Still, this is not a substitute for an actual reference collection, especially for expertizing.

However, it is sometimes more convenient to search for an image on the web to illustrate a point if time is limited. It should also be noted that URL links are needed to report noteworthy eBay or HipStamp listings. Posters should pay attention to potential copyright issues if using images from the Internet.

The result is that philately, even if virtual, is still philately.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05