Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About A Scott 24 Type V On Cover

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
556 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot

I think you're right about that. I think cursive writing is called cursive because while reading it all you can do is curse at the sloppy penmanship.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by gettinold - 05/23/2019 9:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1144 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gettinold, very fascinating stuff! This is why covers with contents are so interesting. The Williamsburg Public Hospital burned to the ground in 1885; a reconstructed building and museum now occupies the space of the original facility in Colonial Williamsburg.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
556 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dudley

I couldn't agree more. Further research on the cover revealed the author, at the time of writing, had a wife & 7 children. He was a Deputy US Marshall and had responsibilities under the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. I believe the letter was prompted by those duties. During the epidemic the author, and 2 of his seven children died. I found the following newspaper clipping:

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
319 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very Respectfully...balance illegible.

It reads, "Y. Obt. Servt. [your obedient servant], W. B. Sorey".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
556 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Codehappy

Thank you. I am sending a copy of the letter to the Norfolk Historical Society and will now be able to share that with them. I received the following response from them after offering to send them a copy:

We would love to have a copy of the letter, which we will share with the local history section at Norfolk Public Library. One of my co-workers here at the library has done extensive research on Norfolk's domestic slave trade, primarily in the 1820s-30s so far, and will be interested to know about Mr. Sorey's responsibilities as Deputy Marshall.

You may send the photocopy to my attention at
Norfolk Historical Society
Edited by gettinold - 05/24/2019 4:27 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05