Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can You Explain To Me How This Hobby Works?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And why are the exact same questions about the exact same collection in 2 threads? Wouldn't it have been easier to simply add to the previous thread from 2 weeks go?

Its not the same questions. The first question was about what to do with bags and bags of stuff. This question was more detailed about how this hobby works since I couldn't figure it out. Sorry if I violated the terms of service. :)

Spent about 2 hours at NAPEX on Sunday chatting with the dealers. They explained a bit of the business of this, since I'm not terribly interested in the hobby aspect of it.

They suggested the best bet would be to auction it off. Which makes sense. We'll have someone look at the good stuff for auction and send all the unsorted bags off with it as a "bonus". Someone above suggested that if you look at a small portion of a collection you get a sense of what was in it. My wife took a couple of the better(?) books and a guy flipped through hundred year old stamps I knew nothing about and gave a us a schooling...he appeared to exactly what he was looking at after being into this since 1955.

I also learned how it's a dying hobby and how dealers buy those full sheets of unused stamps (Elvis! Christmas 1995) for 30% of face and resell at 50% of face. So economics of hoarding that makes zero sense. Spend $100 20 years ago, don't do anything with it and sell for $30. Not good. But if I needed to send a lot of packages, I know where to get stamps!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
6796 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   4:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, it is not a dying hobby. Let me guess, the guy who told you this was the same guy who is been a dealer from since 1955.

The hobby has transitioned online and no one has any way to measure and understand it's online health. Anytime someone says this kind of clueless dribble ask them what metrics they are using. Inevitably they will rail on about shrinking club memberships, closing brick and mortar dealers, smaller stamp show attendance, and other 1960s metrics which are meaningless in 2019.
Don
Valued Member
49 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add michaelschreiber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Va Steve

It is an evolving hobby, far from the expiring one somebody misinformed you about at Napex.

Taxis have changed. Malls are changing. Golf courses are turning into housing plats.

I think you almost have the low end of the stamp hobby figured out: Buy $100 worth of the cheapest stamps such as those Black Cat mixtures and other mixtures you pictured in the link Don posted in a previous reply, and sell 20 years later for $30. 30? No, not $30. Maybe $10 or $5 or $2. Those stamps are all basically cannon fodder for hours of priceless fun. You should be happy with whatever you get for them.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2380 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reality of the stamp business or many other items in a traditional retail environment is that the dealer buy price will always surprise some people. They see some catalog price and somehow expect a dealer to pay something close.

Some dealers think it is dying but they have not changed although the selling environment has changed and it does not depend solely on a traditional dealer.
Al
Edited by angore - 06/11/2019 5:38 pm
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael....that's pretty much what I have concluded!

When I posted that originally, I just wanted to get it all out of the way, things have changed and we have found a path forward for the whole collection.

My wife and I joked about dropping some of those bags into the dealer tables and walking off.

Don, OK I take your point, BUT I will say that as mid 40's folks we certainly seemed like the young ones in the room!
Learn More...
6796 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp collector demographics have been 'old white men' since at least the late 1950s. For example below is a 1968 APS group photo; not many young people 50 years ago yet the hobby seems to have survived just fine since then.

Don
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

OK I'm back. I spent the better part of two days boxing all this up with my wife and bringing it back to my house for further evaluation.

There's 3 categories of stuff: 1. albums that were locked up as a part of his collection (seeming to span all countries (US pictured)) 2. dealer stock. This seems to be stuff that was bought of a dealer but we're really not sure. Tons of envelopes and books with catalog numbers and all. Some it's clear were other people's collections where he seemed to be breaking it down and moved on to something else. Of course, nothing was thrown out. 3. Kiloware. Some unopened, some was opened and maybe it was picked through. To me, the collection is unfocused, but to you all it might make sense. Because this is a space issue, we spent a lot of time consolidating stuff, things in little envelopes were put together, etc. We threw out very little....receipts, broke down smaller boxes, empty envelopes, stuff that well meaning relatives kept (if I EVER see another .22c shell stamp!!!)

Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Random pages from one of the albums.

Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

These boxes and most of the totes in the photo are full of what I call "dealer stock" which also includes other peoples old albums.

Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lastly, this pile of boxes and under the table, appears to be kiloware of various sorts. most sorted by country, some is me and my wife's "special blend" of stuff we bagged up from shoebox sized tubs where it had been dwelling. There's more of it; we simply could not load it all.

Some of this stuff (and the above) has been boxed up for 20 years when we got to the back of the pile and found receipts and what not.

Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my other thread, a poster took offense when I said it'd take a pick up truck to move it all. We have now made two round trips and a third will be necesary. This is a full sized pick up (with a 5 foot bed though). I filled up the bed and backseat twice.

In some ways, this collection is a "burden" on the rest of us, since no instructions were left. The good stuff was well cared for a locked up like I said. There would be no room at his house to sort this and show it off to a dealer/auctioneer so we had to move it to mine.

United States
4 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tuckben to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See if in the collector's paperwork there are receipts from who he bought from. There MAY have been a relationship there that you can capitalize on. ...a mutual trust thing. If you must go to the ads blindly, ask early on in the conversation if the dealer is a member of the American Stamp Dealers Assn. Now there are plenty of honest dealers who aren't, but since you are going in blindly, ASDA can help you avoid the bad apple.Truth is, as a non collector, you are susceptible. Get recommendations if at all possible. You might even identify your location here, and get recommendations as a result
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry to read that your FIL Father in Law passed away. And, you have a very nice looking truck.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05