Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nepal #6 Used. Authentic OR Forgery? European Wove Paper OR Native Wove Paper?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening. I have a question about this Nepal stamp I have.
I know it is not a, "Pin-Perf".

What it factors down to is, "Is this European Wove Paper or Native Wove Paper?" I am hoping for European Wove Paper.

I have taken close up still of the front and back.

What do you think? Thank you.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2015 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   03:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4059 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   05:29 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might also like to look at Richard Frajola's excellent link in this thread of mine from a while ago

http://goscf.com/t/52246&SearchTerms=nepal
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently uploaded a new catalog of Nepal 1881-1930 Classic Issue here:

http://www.rfrajola.com/nepalcat/nepalcat.htm

my rant now - I doubt the original poster will bother to look and figure out what he has. ... He should learn to look for the cheapest possible variety and ask himself why it is not that stamp rather than to assume he has the greatest rarity in the catalog and ask others why it isn't. Sorry.
Learn More...
6643 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard,
Thank you for your time and contributions to the hobby. I concur with your opinion and several of us have previously voiced the same sentiment; unfortunately our advice has not been followed.
I hope this is not a case of a person buying what they think are good deals and then using this community as a type of free verification to see if they have 'struck gold'. This is has previously been tried a number of times and it never turned out well for anyone.
Don

Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard,

What an amazing link you provided! This website is going to keep me busy! Thank you Richard.

Don,

When I collect Philately, what attracts me most are stamps with high catalog values, and I certainly wish someday to strike gold. That is why I take the time to learn new things, use special equipment and better myself through the art of Philately.
I do also like to complete, "sets". When it comes to stamps with little to no value. I still take the time to properly label each individual stamp by, "Scott number, condition, and Scott value" on the clear stamp mount in which they are mounted. I am also looking at the bigger picture as well. Someday I can pass down my stamps to my family. As my first stamp were passed on to me. I started collecting from a small inherited collection, which started my fascination with the subject.

Cheers

Learn More...
6643 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   04:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nano,
There is nothing wrong with the hunt for a treasure as long as this does not cloud the identification process. The point here is that during the identification process the hobbyists should assume that they have the most common stamps. If you are buying 'rare' stamps at a discount, assume that they are either not the rare varieties or that they have condition problems.

In over 100 threads you have started none have been an inquiry about identifying a common stamp; obviously you are 'treasure hunting'. No one learns the hobby asking only about 'rare' stamps when 99% of the hobby is about common stamps.

It is not against the rules to try to use the community as a free identification service but do not be surprised to see the number of people responding to your threads drop off (which has already happened). The community is very supportive of folks who want to learn the hobby; it is less supportive of people who think they can use it to short cut learning. We seek to help new hobbyists and prevent them from making stupid mistakes like trying to buy 'rare' stamps when they are not experienced.

You also cannot build an investment grade collection filled with stamps that have been 'certified' by an online forum. This community is perfect when a hobbyist is faced with a decision about spending money on a certification. Certification services can be costly and having a way to get independent opinions on a certification decision is great. But rare stamps require a certification if they are going to be sold as a rare stamp. Setting your families expectation that you have left them a collection of rare stamps without actual certifications is a setup for a major disappointment.

I hope you work out an approach to the hobby other than treasure hunting; it offers a tremendous opportunities beyond 'striking it rich' for those who are willing to invest time in learning.
Don
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 06/03/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Don. I just got a big collection of stamps from a collector. I am in the process of going through all of them.
They are all labeled by catalog number and value but the values are from like 20 years ago.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
525 Posts
Posted 06/03/2019   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard

Thank you for the link to your work on stamps of Nepal. Only yesterday I posted a thread regarding stamps I was unable to identify. Turned out to be from Nepal. Initially, I thought they were from one of the Feudal States of India.

The detailed information you provided is very much appreciated.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05