Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hinging Cancel To Order Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add moneil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not a fan of CTO's but I have several sets of them some came in used albums I purchased, others I have no idea why or how I have them, they are not something I would buy.

While I'm not a dedicated WW collector I have the philosophy that if I have a stamp I'll mount it an album.

It somehow bothers me to hinge "mint gum" which many of the CTO's have, some are un-gummed or without gum. On the other hand they are obviously not mint stamps and not high value I'd rather not use a mount that costs as much or more than the value of the stamp. I assume I'm not lowering their value by hinging them onto the album page? What is common practice? Thank you.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4086 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   1:27 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd hinge them - as I'm happy to hinge most stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
594 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hinge away, I hinge all mine as well
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
319 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are indeed gum fanatics that insist that even their CTOs should be left never hinged -- you will sometimes see listings for stamps as "CTO full NH original gum".

Fact is, the value of most stamps (CTO or mint) isn't going to be meaningfully affected by a hinge mark, except in retail environments. Most modern mint stuff sells as discount postage, most CTOs sell as bulk stamps, collections often sell at auction on the assumption everything is hinged, even if it's all in mounts (as you often can't inspect every single good unused stamp, you can only spot check at best).

At this point I typically only mount stamps for displays or exhibits, but when I do I use black mounts for everything -- you can harvest those from old collections, and use hinges (or glue stick, or some other light adhesive) to affix them to the pages, and it's quite inexpensive that way. Buying mounts new, like you indicate, will cost substantially more than many stamps are worth.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I consider myself a general worldwide collector I tend to be of two minds on CTOs. Part of me knows they aren't postally used and is annoyed at having them gummed. I once considered simply soaking the gum off the back but found that too time consuming when I tried it with some common Czech stamps from the 1960s.

Since I'm now moving forward with mounting my collection on Steiner pages I've decided that I will mount anything in the 1840 - 1940 range and then approach newer items on a case by case basis. The sheer number of CTOs means I will most likely use hinges to avoid the excess cost mounts would incur.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1736 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   4:22 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Russia collection in three Scott albums almost complete to 1992. About 90% of the stamps are CTO and the remaining mint were previously hinged. With a few exceptions every stamp in those albums is hinged. The Souvenir sheets are mounted with corners. There is no way on earth I would ever have time to cut mounts for all of those and then there'd be the issue of album bulge. It's an attractive collection I love looking at frequently.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1146 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy hinging !!!! (which reflects how I've always handled CTOs)
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hinge
Valued Member
United Kingdom
183 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   04:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only CTOs I wouldnt hinge would be certain rather more valuable stamps -- China Cultural revolution era, earlier Russia for example -- as they could earn some serious cash should I eventually sell them on.
But for most of them the question is moot, as they are worth so little even in pristine never-hinged condition.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05