Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

When Did St.john Nfld Become St.john's Nfld...?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6228 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Take a look at my two Newfoundland Scott 1 and Scott 23 stamps which has ST.JOHN'S on the stamps...They use the city name from 1857 to 1860 then just called the stamps Newfoundland only...See stamps below..

Now having said that, I found a 1794 Newfoundland map and it is ST.JOHN..Not ST.JOHN's Newfoundland...The reason it was called ST.JOHN and not ST.John's was in 1497 John Cabot entered NFLD on feast day of Saint John the Baptist...So he called it St. John...St.John's was incorporated into a city in 1888.

Does anyone know when the named changed from ST.JOHN to ST.JOHN'S...?

Robert

Send note to Staff
Edited by wert - 05/22/2019 8:26 pm

Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the origin of the name St. John's is a matter of some mystery, and it varied considerably over the centuries, so probably no one can now say when exactly it solidified to the current St. John's.

This article has a good summary -

http://www.stjohns.ca/living-st-joh...ry/city-name

One of my favourite cities to visit as well!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6228 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gmot, looks like your articular is correct... Parkhurst, named it St.John's in 1578...But it was changed a couple of times again and finally changed back to St.John's by Whitbourne, in 1588-1622

Thanks for the info.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
2017 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One map or fleeting printed reference does not make an official name change. Maps are often made hundreds or thousands of miles away by people unfamiliar with exact spellings and differing degrees of literacy. Spelling errors on maps are common. Your own thread several months ago on Butch vs Burtch demonstrated this.

Secondly, do you own this map or not? Either way, it deserves a bibliographic reference of some sort.
Pillar Of The Community
713 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6228 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John..No, I don't own the map...Here are the copyright regulations on use.

Robert

"Map reproduction courtesy of the Norman B. Leventhal Map & Education Center at the Boston Public Library"

All information maps courtesy of "Old Maps online"
https://www.oldmapsonline.org/
Edited by wert - 05/23/2019 9:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
596 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And then there was St. John, New Brunswick named in 1604. The story sounds similar with different players.

According to history records the french explorers Samuul De Champlain and Sieur de Monts arrived at what is now the mouth of St. John River on June 24, 1604. The feast day of St. John the baptist and named the river in his honour.

Incorporated in 1785 to become the first city in what is now Canada.

Reference: Canadian encyclopedia, other online sources.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6228 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good information No1philatelist

Saves me time looking it up.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oddly enough, Saint John NB is spelled without abbreviating Saint where St. John's NF is. And always thought it interesting that St. Catharines ON is properly spelled without the apostrophe.

I love both geographical and historical trivia so could go on ad infinitum, but I'll restrain myself...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6228 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gmot...I have written about St.Catherine's on another post..See link below.

Robert

www.stampcommunity.org/topic...St.Catherines

Just for your info..Here is a lists of suggested name changes for St.Catherine's.
Edited by wert - 05/24/2019 2:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
596 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ooops! I'm bad. Gmot is right. Hope the Saints forgive me for being so brief.
Edited by No1philatelist - 05/24/2019 1:56 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05