Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Turkey Bisect On Cover

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Italy
187 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   01:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pisti1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning
another philatelic curiosity to catalog that I can't find, thanks a lot for the answers

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
504 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Saint 40 Albanie" : french traduction for "Santi Quaranta", italian name of Saranda (a seaside resort in Albania )
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by vayolene - 05/23/2019 02:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
637 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What are you looking for that you can't find?

Turkey stamp is likely Scott #68. They don't list bisects. There is a note after #77 describing a different kind of bisect...

Nice item!
Valued Member
Italy
187 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   04:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pisti1978 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning
I'm trying to understand, what path the letter made Simone
Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
637 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   05:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell you that - need more expertise than I can offer!

All I can say, with some level of certainty, assuming it is all genuine, is that it originated somewhere in the Ottoman Empire. vayolene's comment - about an Albanian resort - would make sense & confirm that.

The top right cancel on the back tells us that at some point, it went through an Austrian post office. Could've been one in broad Levant area, or Austria?

Other's with more postmark knowledge will have to fill in the blanks from there...
Pillar Of The Community
France
504 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An Austrian Levant post office was located in Santi Quaranta.

And Sarandoz (first cancel on reverse) is the turkish name of Saranda
Edited by vayolene - 05/23/2019 05:58 am
Valued Member
Italy
187 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pisti1978 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible that the departure is from Thrace?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2744 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postmark on the bisect is from Port Lagos (Lagos) in Greece.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2744 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the route may have been:

- Port Lagos (Greece)

- Bar (Montenegro)

- Saranda (Austrian P.O.)

- Saranda (Turkish P.O.)
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2019 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Departure (Dec.inverted inside) looks like Romania ? (Poate lag) is in romanian.Destination:Santi Quaranta confirmed by latin script on the front.
Arrival Santi Quaranta _Date ? Why is the purple arrival cancel under the flap ?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2744 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi perf12,

It's Turkish bilingual postmark from Port Lagos and the French part at the bottom reads "PORTE.LAG".

I hadn't noticed till now that the French Month slug had been reversed.

I guess the top flap may have been removed and replaced as the Austrian postmark also looks disturbed.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
France
504 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nigel,
"Porte-Lag" cannot be a french inscription ("porte" is french for "door",not "port")
A French Levant post office was located in Port-Lagos,and its name is always written "Port-Lagos"

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2744 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Perf12,

The "French" inscriptions on Turkish bilingual postmarks are often not the standard French versions of a place name.

Sometimes they give a transliteration of a Turkish or Bulgarian name sounding out the word as though it were in French (or perhaps some Turkish official's view of how it should be spelt.)

Lagos used to have various versions of its name including Port Lagos, Porto-Lago, Porto Lagos etc.

Turkish and Bulgarian called the town Karagach (or Karaaghadj etc.)

In this postmark at the top it says, "Karaaghadj" in Turkish.

In around 1910 a new version of the postmark came into use with "PORT LAGOS" at the bottom.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2744 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Perf12,

That's a lovely 25 centimes stamp used in Port Lagos!

Very nice indeed.

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2019 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by perf12 - 05/23/2019 11:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
637 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simone -

You're now witnessing an intense academic discussion between Galileo Galilei & Issac Newton. Very rare.

I'd normally go w/Nigel...but perf12 is putting up a heck of a fight!

The only thing I can add to this: NIgel's comments about the bilingual postmarks are spot on. The Ottoman 'officials' who created these were, at best, sounding them out & spelling them accordingly.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a ratty old envelope w/a horrible looking stain on the front. But the discussion is priceless!!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05