Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aps Show August 1-4 Omaha NE

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1736 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   1:27 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It may not be too early to check in and see how many on here plan to attend. I have never been able to go to an APS show in fifty plus years of collecting, now one is coming to me.

I was at PIPEX last weekend in Portland. Some of the dealers there that plan to attend the Omaha show were openly grousing about it. There seems to be an impression that the venue is in the middle of nowhere. Worries were expressed about attendance, the weather- one joked they could cook their own breakfast on the sidewalk!

Well it gets hot in Columbus in August as well and that didn't prevent a good turnout last year. I appreciate dealers waning a venue that they think is favorably located for their customer base but it seems to me holding the show someplace different once in awhile is a pretty good thing.

I plan to be there every day. Anyone else coming?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1266 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
dealers there that plan to attend the Omaha show were openly grousing about it

I think I have heard dealers grousing about the location of every single APS show I have ever attended.
Valued Member
Learn More...
358 Posts
Posted 05/23/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be going if my cataract surgery doesn't preempt it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
28 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an APS dealer-member with booths at nearly every APS Summer & APS Winter show for the past 20 years, I'll have a booth at Omaha and looking forward to going somewhere I've never been. Combining it with the ATA is a great idea which worked out well at Columbus for most of us postal history dealers - picked up several new topical/thematic customers who had never attended an APS show before.
Steve Taylor
https://stephentaylor.co.uk
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will be driving up from Oklahoma with a friend.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5836 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Columbus is reasonable driving distance from at least 8 major cities. Omaha has far fewer. People will show up anyway to a certain extent, but the number of last minute people will be much smaller.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1736 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   11:02 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe some of us on here could do a meet up at the show? Might be fun.

I suspect everyone will be older than I'd imagined. So will I - to others.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   12:09 am  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be there, I'm only about a 90-minute drive away. I've been looking forward to it ever since Omaha was announced as the venue. Most other APS shows have been at locations so far from me that there's no way I'd be able to attend, unless someone is footing the airfare and hotel for me.

Make sure you visit the Henry Doorly Zoo while you're in town, it's widely ranked as one of the very best in the world and one of the top 2-3 in the US.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
580 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife and I are coming (also from Oklahoma). My wife is not interested in the show, but we lived in Omaha in the late 1960s and it will be interesting to see how much the old town has changed.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1736 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   10:24 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The venue for the show has had a strict policy over the years about carry in items. I sent this messsge just now to Ken Martin:

'Will there be restrictions on carry ins during this show? The venue appears to have strict policies on prohibiting things like briefcases, which many show attendees might be expected to bring:

http://www.chihealthcenteromaha.com...gPolicy.aspx

Does this policy apply only to sporting events or would the show fall under these rules? I usually carry my catalog and subsequent show purchases in a small duffel bag. Reply appreciated. I am APS #73598, life member. '

I would expect the venue security will be treating the show like a trade show and not enforce this but felt it best to clear it up beforehand.
Edited by Stamps1962 - 05/26/2019 10:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5836 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perfs on some reperforated stamps are so stiff that one could cut steaks with them, with these restrictions they might be considered deadly weapons. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1736 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   12:35 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev- to say nothing of tongs, especially the ones with lethal points. I doubt the exclusions apply here as this isn't going to be an arena event but this venue has a reputation for being very sticky about anything being brought in.It's good to get this addressed now rather than on opening day.

Don, I need to check but is it correct that there's never been an APS convention in Oklahoma City or Tulsa? I fully understand the need to hold these in venues that will attract dealers and attendees but every so often I think they need to pick someplace different.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5836 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used "lethal" tongs for decades too.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1113 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will be attending. Hope to meet some of you there.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1266 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The clear plastic tote bags mentioned in the policy above are available in the US at Wal-mart and similar outlets for less than $5. Amazon has a "GAMEDAY Clear Bag Stadium Approved" for $8. So compliance with the policy is not difficult. They are also required in NFL stadiums and many college sports venues, so they frequently have a team logo, and chances are you'll use it again somewhere.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05