Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aps Show August 1-4 Omaha NE

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1786 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reply just in from Ken Martin:

'The information you refer to is for events such as athletic contests and concerts, but are not generally applied to conventions/trade shows. While the facility reserves the right to inspect items being brought on to the show floor, limitations beyond those that would impact public safety such as weapons and explosives, and food and alcohol, are generally left up to show management. You should have no issues bringing a brief case, catalog or other materials clearly related to the show.'

So no issue appears likely. I arm impressed with Ken's replying on a Holiday weekend.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
397 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also got a similar email reply. He is a dedicated man. Kudos to him for responding so quickly on this weekend.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 05/26/2019 7:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3252 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who is going to be conducting the auction?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3252 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Chris.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1786 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   12:38 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some places simply do not want to host a show. I read that the Minneapolis area clubs have rejected attempts to get them to apply to do so. They have their local show in July and do not want to suspend that even for one year. Can't say I blame them.
Edited by Stamps1962 - 06/05/2019 7:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1786 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My July AP magazine just arrived. There is the usual map of the show floor and list of dealers. Someone failed to put the table numbers alongside the dealer names. That information however is on the APS website, it seems odd someone didn't catch that. It's a;ways nice to know where the dealers are I want to see, also where the ones are I prefer to stay far away from! (not many). The only society I belong to apart from the APS that has a table will be the USSS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1786 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   8:29 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to bump this up, we are now two weeks off. Is anyone else planning to go who hasn't posted yet??
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1786 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just sent this email to Scott English:

Scott you messaged me a couple months back assuring that the CHI arena will not be requiring attendees to use clear bags for the show. Today while surfing your site I tried to access information re parking and location. That link appears broken but I noted the following notice at the bottom of the screen:

Arena Clear Bag Policy in effect. Click the button to learn more.

I know you are busy just now. I'd like someone to fix the link on your site so attendees can view the parking map. Also one last time can you verify attendees will be able to bring in briefcases or duffel bags to this show?

When I first learned that the show would be at this venue I worried about this issue. The administration of the venue is very, very stinky on this. Scott did reassure me but it looks like the CHI management is not in sync. I doubt it will be an issue but don't want to show up the first day and run into a mess over this. I think Monday I will call someone at CHI to verify there has been a dispensation made on this.

I understand the need for security. This is a Stamp show, for heaven's sake. It's not a sports event.

UPDATE: reply from CHI per Facebook-

'we apologize. There is no clear bag policy for the convention center side of our building.'

So this is apparently a non issue. Sorry to have ruffled any feathers on this.
Edited by Stamps1962 - 07/27/2019 3:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1120 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962, Thanks for getting a clarification on the clear bag policy.

Looking forward to attending the show.
Valued Member
111 Posts
Posted 07/30/2019   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Schedule some time to see "Big Boy" chug into Omaha Friday evening, or leave town Sunday morning. He will be on display all day Saturday, here is the link to his tentative schedule...

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/s...le/index.htm

Linus

(Photo by David Vote, brother to my brother-in-law's wife, taken in northern Iowa on July 18, 2019}
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1786 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Made it there today, arrived right after opening and stayed for four hours or so. Will be back tomorrow.

Lots of people there, aisles full, hard to find seats at some tables. I met some people I've only known on line, saw some faces I've only seen in Philatelic media. Spent time at tables for A and D and also Michael Ball at A-Z. Lots of good fellowship.

This is the biggest show I've ever attended. I spent time doing lists of what I needed but now find I haven't spent as much as I figured I would. Maybe that's typical. I plan tomorrow to eat a big breakfast and then pack an apple and a candy bar.I still have pain in my stomach from food I ate from the concession there. Nothing probably wrong or unsafe about it, I just forget I'm not that young any longer and can't eat a lot of that stuff.

One peeve I sometimes have are show dealers who do not price their material. Once I find that is their selling format I usually move on.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1928 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   12:01 am  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Michael Ball at A-Z. Lots of good fellowship.

Stamps1962 - I was also there right at opening and spent quite a bit of time at A-Z and somewhat less at A&D. I was the tall bald guy if that rings a bell - we might have been sitting at the same table and didn't know it!

Biggest show I've ever attended as well. Not sure if I'm going back or not, depends if the wife feels like going Saturday or Sunday. I live a 90-minute drive away, so it's doable enough if I feel like it. I pretty well shot my budget, though, (but didn't overshoot!) so I wouldn't be going back with the idea of buying a whole lot more. I got enough to fill a lot of empty spaces and was definitely glad I went.

Also got to see a real live Jenny invert for the first time, it was kind of like seeing Elvis or something.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1786 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   7:53 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do think I saw you at A-Z. Today I was there a bit over three hours. Spent most of my time at the table of 'Stamp Art' an Oregon dealer I've often seen at shows but never tried until today. Very well organized and comprehensive stock, nice people too. I had budgeted a couple of grand for stuff, I'm halfway there, have bought the better stuff so will start tomorrow to look for lots and collections and try to find stuff for my Scott International volume one collection.

One gripe; no one seems to have supplies. I would like to pick up mounts for my new acquisitions but no one has any. The Linns/Amos booth has a few albums but little else. One dealer is selling vintage hinges for $20 a pack The Jenny invert is not mounted at eye level so it's hard to see detail. Maybe that is deliberate. The food is horribly overpriced but that's no surprise. .
Edited by Stamps1962 - 08/02/2019 7:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael Ball is a really good guy. For sure someone trustworthy to buy from.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05