Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

APS Show August 1-4 Omaha NE

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 4,808Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't surprised at the lack of supplies as they would be expensive to ship to the show and/or would take up too much room in the van compared to what they could sell them for. I'd venture to guess that similar shows in the Northeast probably attract some dedicated supply dealers as they wouldn't have so far to go. I'd have purchased some mounts as well had there been some available.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7493 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, shows in the northeast usually have a couple of dealers in supplies.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 08/05/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Omaha paper ran the following today.

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/af...622c69c.html

Hope the link works.

Warren Buffet dropped in there yesterday.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1874 Posts
Posted 08/05/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, Stamps1962.

I attended Thursday, and did a lot of selling.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2388 Posts
Posted 08/05/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure sounds like a successful show. I hope it was.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 08/05/2019   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can vouch that it was busy on Thursday, seemed like nearly every dealer's tables were full the whole time I was there. I assume it tapers off a little in the later days, but I hope it was a successful show overall. Having a large show like this located this close to me is probably a once in a lifetime occurrence and I know I did my part to make it a success.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
544 Posts
Posted 08/05/2019   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was there all four days buying lots of stuff each day, participating in the Harmer auction, and dropping stuff off at the PF table to get expertized. It was frequently difficult to get a seat at the bigger dealer tables such as A&D, A to Z, and Stamp Art during the show, but it did taper off a bit on Sat and Sun. Not much trouble getting to the other dealer tables after the first day and a half or so. I overheard one dealer say that he had bought $63k worth of the $2 inverted Jenny stamps hoping to sell them; apparently he sold a fair number but he seemed to be packing a lot away towards the end of the show. The first day ceremony for the military dogs stamp was excellent, both in the presentation as well as having the K-9 units around. Seeing Warren Buffett was a treat. Overall a good show for participants; I hope that the dealers had a good show so that they will keep coming back.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 08/05/2019 9:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 08/05/2019   10:48 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i spent most of my time and money at those three dealers. Michael Ball was his usually entertaining self. Tom Kinsman at Stamp Art had a charming assistant-a French exchange student staying with them this Summer.She was a delight and I think helped attract from older guys like myself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
982 Posts
Posted 08/06/2019   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Attendance seemed steady, but not what I would call crowded. Made a few satisfying purchases and and also toured the city a little. Omaha has done a fine job in keeping its downtown area alive. The exhibits were great. I'm glad I went to the show.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
544 Posts
Posted 08/06/2019   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, Michael is always very friendly, as is Cecilia. They had someone helping them out that kept the place lively with a laugh that could be heard everywhere in the convention hall. The young French girl at Stamp Art had old guys buzzing around showing her their pictures of France. I saw her talking to Buffett at one point - that must have been a bit of a thrill for her. The article that you posted noted that Jim Dempsey got the APS Dealer of the Year award. Spent a lot of time at his table. He and Buffett are 88 years old - don't know how they do it. I think I'll be too moldy at that point to do much, if I even make it that far. Great time at the show.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
117 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And congratulations to Yamil Kouri for his double win: CofC and Literature. Highly recommend his book on Cuba and believe it will sell-out quickly.

Had my doubts about going to Omaha, and it pained me to admit in public to Scott English at the dealers' breakfast that it was a very strong show. Turns out to be my best since I started doing them 20 years ago.

Long may the joint shows continue...Future Summershow in Kansas City?

Steve Taylor
www.stephentaylor.co.uk
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   8:11 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple dealers that shall remain nameless had told me when I saw them at PIPEX in May that they dreaded coming to Omaha. They thought business would be slow and the weather horrible. Both are now raving at the sales volume they got and how they'd be happy to come back sometime.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A couple dealers that shall remain nameless had told me when I saw them at PIPEX in May that they dreaded coming to Omaha. They thought business would be slow and the weather horrible. Both are now raving at the sales volume they got and how they'd be happy to come back sometime.

Glad to hear it, maybe they'll need a bigger venue for Omaha's regular annual show in future years.

It shouldn't be too surprising if you think about it. People on the east coast can probably hit a sizable show every month or more (or even hit a retail store or two) especially if they're willing to drive a couple hours. The APS show probably isn't all that big of a deal. Here in the Midwest, our opportunities are much more limited. I, for one, took full advantage, taking off of work and saving up for the show. Sounds like others must have done the same.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7493 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish that was true about the east coast. Perhaps if one drives 4-5 hours.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
544 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being retired, I drove from AZ to Omaha, having never been there. Nice drive seeing the sights in Utah and Colorado along the way. Really enjoyed the show. Would do the same for KC if they decide to do that. Sacramento is easy, but Hartford and Cleveland are a bit far.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 4,808Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05