Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Will Be Raising Fees Again And Hitting People Selling Cheap Goods

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
590 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dutchman1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/bl...8618552.html

The key will be the 25¢ per listing fee for multiple sales in one transaction.

Paypal charges 30¢ per transaction but eBay's managed payments will be charging 25¢ per item

Their 2.7% will be lower than Paypal but for how long?

I will hurt many sellers who sell a large number of cheap itemsin one payment.

eBay is raising fees for payment processing through its Managed Payments program, and it's a major hit to sellers' pocketbooks.

eBay did not announce the change, but on Tuesday (May 21, 2019), it updated its Payments Terms of Use to add a per listing payments fee.

Notice the term "per listing." Payment services like PayPal charge a "per transaction" fee. Presumably this means if you sell 5 items to a single buyer in a single transaction, you would pay eBay 25 cents times 5 in addition to the "payment processing fee," which is currently 2.7% of the total order amount. Using PayPal, you pay 30 cents on the total transaction (plus processing fee), no matter how many "listings" are included in the order.

Sellers who have completed the managed payments onboarding process prior to June 4th will not have to pay the per listing payments fee. But while they are grandfathered in to the original rates for now, there's no guarantee those terms won't change in the future.

We expect there to be pushback from sellers on per listing fee. While sellers can opt in for now, Managed Payments will eventually become mandatory for all sellers.

Here are three excerpts from eBay Payments Terms of Use showing how fees have changed.

Posting Date: May 21, 2019
Payments Processing Fees
If (a) you have successfully completed the managed payments onboarding process (in accordance with Section 4) prior to 00:00:00 (12:00 AM) Pacific Time on June 4, 2019 and (b) your eBay account has remained continuously enabled for managed payments: Your payments processing fees are calculated as 2.7% of the total order amount, including shipping, handling, sales tax and other amounts owed (the "payments processing rate").

If you successfully complete the managed payments onboarding process (in accordance with Section 4) on or after June 4, 2019 (starting at 00:00:00 (12:00 AM) Pacific Time): Your payments processing fees are calculated as (i) the payments processing rate plus (ii) $0.25 per listing sold (the "per listing payments fee"). Notwithstanding the foregoing clause (ii), for sellers who onboard to managed payments on or after June 4, 2019 the per listing payments fee is waived through September 30, 2019 at 23:59:59 Pacific Time (11:59 PM plus 59 seconds) and will take effect beginning October 1, 2019 at 00:00:00 Pacific Time (12:00 AM).

Payments processing fees do not include any sales tax, which will be added to this fee on your invoice if applicable.

Payments Dispute Fees
Upon the conclusion of a Dispute investigation and/or re-presentment that results in you being found responsible for the chargeback or other disputed amounts, we charge a $20 payments dispute fee, excluding any applicable sales tax, for each Dispute. You may appeal the payments dispute fee within 30 days from when we invoice the payments dispute fee if you believe that you have been charged in error.

Posting Date: May 16, 2019
Payment Processing Fees
Payments processing fees are calculated as 2.7% percent of the total amount owed to you, including shipping, handling, sales tax and other amounts owed. Payments processing fees do not include any sales tax, which will be added to this fee on your invoice if applicable.

Payments Dispute Fees
Upon the conclusion of a Dispute investigation and/or re-presentment that results in you being found responsible for the chargeback or other disputed amounts, we charge a $20 payments dispute fee, excluding any applicable sales tax, for each Dispute. You may appeal the payments dispute fee within 30 days from when we invoice the payments dispute fee if you believe that you have been charged in error.

Posting Date: November 16, 2018
Payment Processing Fees
Payments processing fees are calculated as 2.7% percent of the total amount owed to the seller, including shipping, handling, sales tax and other amounts owed. Payments processing fees do not include any sales tax, which will be added to this fee on your invoice if applicable.

Chargeback Fees
Upon the conclusion of a chargeback investigation and/or re-presentment that results in a seller being found responsible for the chargeback amounts, we charge a $20 chargeback fee, excluding any applicable sales tax, for each chargeback. Sellers may appeal the chargeback fee within 30 days from when we invoice the chargeback fee if they believe that they have been charged in error.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have beat this drum for the last several years...the cost per transaction is the same for a $0.10 listing and a $100 listing. It makes no sense to support sellers of cheap used items; so they are fine with running off those kinds of sellers. eBay originally did this as a kind of 'loss leader' to build traffic and user accounts.

And I have little faith that anyone will try to replace eBay and target sellers like this; a business plan which reads "we will build a worldwide selling venue to support very small transactions" would attract few (if any) investors or shareholders.
Don

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, Don is on the right track. I can remember when dealers broke down collections and were happy to send out country packets at one to three cents a stamp with a discount if you purchased most if not all in the packet. These were in the days of the three cent first class stamp when return postage was under a quarter per shipment. The times they are a changing.

Today I see covers on eBay that have been relisted and relisted for months if not years. They still do not sell especially when that $15 item everyone passed on is now a $40 item. Most are still overpriced at $15.

Russ

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   2:22 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welp, I guess it's Delcampe full-time after eBay tries to force me to use managed payments.
Valued Member
Learn More...
363 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   2:58 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope I am misunderstanding this so- here is what I read.
I list a stamp with a starting price of 20¢.
Unfortunately it did not bid up so it sells at 20¢
Buyer pays 60¢ shipping so that is a wash.
The new eBay policy will charge me .25¢ for the listing plus 2.7%.
Because the purchaser paid with PayPal there is a 30¢ transaction fee there.
Bottom line I net a 37¢ loss.
Please tell me I am wrong and missing something.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
590 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is only if you pay through Managed Payments, not Paypal

The big difference is through Paypal the 30¢ is charged per transaction and through managed payments it will be 25¢ per item so if Paypal has 10 items on one transaction, the fee is 30¢ + 2.9%(less if you use micro payments). If you use managed payments the fee will be $2.50 + 2.7%.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   4:21 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can also just see this new fee passed on to the buyers. What is stopping sellers from imposing a 25 cent handling fee for each additional item added to an order? As far as I know - nothing. Except loss of sales. No winners on either side for sellers or buyers. Just the monkey in the middle - eBay.
Edited by Battlestamps - 05/24/2019 4:22 pm
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   5:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The solution is simple, stop trying to do nickel and dime listings.

My wife used to sell 'feeder goldfish' at her pet shop by the dozen ($1 per dozen). People who owned large carnivorous fish purchased them as food. We would stock the tank with 2500 goldfish at a time. When a customer would come in, we would use a large net and swoop a net full of goldfish into a plastic bag, fill the bag with oxygen, and ring it up.

But when someone wanted to buy 'just one', we could not sell it to them for $0.08. First, we would have to stand there for 5 minutes chasing a single fish ("that one!") around the tank. Then we incurred the same costs in materials as putting a few dozen in the same bag.

eBay, and more importantly its shareholders, does not want to support selling one goldfish at a time.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   5:17 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a job for APS circuit books. Some clubs also handle other circuits.

Unfortunately, this leaves out international buyers. No problem, prohibitions against sending "merchandise" by First Class Mail International limits sellers to more expensive options costing $8 or more to Canada and maybe $10 to Europe. Its not just eBay.
Edited by cfrphoto - 05/24/2019 5:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
664 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fortunately I got to enjoy eBay as a seller in its early days...pre-Paypal , before they got corporate and got lawyers to formulate their terms of agreement etc.
One of the reasons I like HipStamp...not a mess of listings and legalise.
Edited by graphis - 05/24/2019 5:33 pm
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   5:50 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And if everybody migrated their stamp listings to HipStamp overnight, they would quickly become just like eBay. (Needing to spend big dollars on servers, routers, IT people, support staff, lawyers, accountants, etc.)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3593 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   7:02 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay will always be apart of my selling but my total dependence on selling though eBay is going to stop.

eBay has been so good to me. Would never have been able to start a stamp selling store outside of eBay. Would never have been able to sell a stamp except at an auction house. Auction houses have been crushed by eBay. Most of their vendor listings are now listed on eBay by individuals and we see auctions houses closing down all over the place.

By being an active seller on eBay helped me to find a more profitable way of selling. Found a way to sell that has fewer selling competitors. All this knowledge has come from experience selling on eBay. A quick search on eBay tells how many people are selling the same product at what price. It helps me to put a price on my listed items. Can also do a wider search about price online as well.Selling on eBay has changed my total lifestyle very much for the better. Thank you eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2933 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Auction houses have been crushed. Thank you eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4167 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Auction Houses have been crushed by eBay " Just the opposite is true .

I and hundreds of others have spend many more dollars at auction ,both for them as resellers of their auction purchases and collectors like me who spend money on more stamps because we know we can sell our excess .

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3593 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   9:52 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you both sell your stamps that are purchased at an auction house at the same auction house or other auction house or with eBay?

Have your auction houses you buy from become less in number?

By selling on eBay has not lessened the listings at auction houses?

Do all new comers that find themselves with stamps sell at an auction house or on eBay?

Quote:
Auction houses have been crushed by eBay. Most of their vendor listings are now listed on eBay by individuals and we see auctions houses closing down all over the place.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3593 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:08 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly your defense is to pull different parts of my post and put them together to say what you want. Very poor form!

Where do you find this quote in my post?

Quote:
Auction houses have been crushed. Thank you eBay!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05