Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Will Be Raising Fees Again And Hitting People Selling Cheap Goods

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3593 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:11 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh! No! How could anybody have a positive eBay experience.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4167 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a collector ,I use eBay to sell excess material .I have been buying better material and sold off the less stuff between 2003 and 2010. Now just buy at major auctions ,a few collections and a junk lot to play with each year .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   12:15 am  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay has been running full page ads in Linn's lately, so they definitely still want the stamp business, though perhaps not the nickel-and-dime variety. I think Amazon has eaten their lunch on standard commercial products so thoroughly that eBay knows they need to increase collectible sales, where Amazon doesn't really compete.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   11:19 am  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the traffic on eBay-hate PayPal and its rules. Now if my $100.00 items would sell I wouldn't have to list them all the time-

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1265 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
eBay has been running full page ads in Linn's lately, so they definitely still want the stamp business, though perhaps not the nickel-and-dime variety.

Actually, the stamp featured in the Linn's ad, which appears to be US Scott 1393, is a penny-value stamp. Of course, the 'bay's ads about stamps always have been tone-deaf. The fact that this one is so wrong, even after an eBay rep appeared in and commented in this forum, speaks volumes about how little they know about this business.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   11:23 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Actually, the stamp featured in the Linn's ad, which appears to be US Scott 1393, is a penny-value stamp. Of course, the 'bay's ads about stamps always have been tone-deaf. The fact that this one is so wrong, even after an eBay rep appeared in and commented in this forum, speaks volumes about how little they know about this business

Agreed. My biggest pet peeve about eBay's stamp listings is that there aren't nearly enough sub-categories. For example, the entire German area is lumped into "Germany and Colonies" and usually contains around 150K listings, making browsing difficult. Same with France and Portugal, etc. The German area on eBay Germany is split into dozens and dozens of sub-categories, making browsing specialized listings much easier, but of course everything is in German and listed by Michel. I'd shop there more often, but many sellers won't ship to the US and of course you have to hope your shipment makes it past the thieves at the inbound NY customs office (which is probably why many German sellers won't ship here).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
634 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   11:07 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided some time ago to use tracking and cardboard mailers to protect stamps. That alone makes a base cost of about $3.50. Then add 2.9% +.30 for PayPal and 6% for eBay (basic store) and I'd lose money selling anything for a total cost of under $4. What that means is that I can't sell most stamps individually. What I do is group stamps together - sometimes complete sets - sometimes stamps that have something in common etc. I'm still then left with thousands of unsellable stamps. I sell those as remainder albums and they do alright.

At the end of the day everything gets sold and though the overhead of working with eBay is high, considering the amazing distribution they give me selling to the four corners of the world (I actually only sell to the US) - I'm not complaining. I turn a small profit and that's really all I ask for. I honestly don't see any alternative. The other platforms are nice, but don't have the reach to the market that eBay has.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4167 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RISNY - Agree with you 100% , I also sold a lot of material back between 2003 and 2010 I cleaned out many boxes of material especially duplicates and stuff that didn't fit into my collection . Lots of work selling thru eBay but it gave me the ability to buy a lot more that fit my interest.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05