Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare 2 Cent Washington Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 2centWashington to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm brand new to this and any help/suggestions I can get would be appreciated. I googled this stamp, and they all look like they're very valuable. I think it's an A140, but like I said I'm brand new to this.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A140 is not a Scott id number, but a design number. What makes you think this is a valuable stamp? Did you buy it?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
2 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 2centWashington to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found it in a collection I bought today. I found several stamps like this on google that had fairly high prices. I also posted this on r/philately and someone told me that there are many like this, but only a handful of valuable ones.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3510 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So true.
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a common stamp that will not sell for any amount of money. That design has dozens of varieties of major catalog numbers. The expensive ones are rare, but you have one of the ones that was printed in the tens of billions of copies. Someone will post a stampsmarter link. You can start there to learn about the different varieties and check to see if you won the lottery when you find stamps that look like this one. You have a sheet stamp, not a coil or booklet stamp which rules out a lot of varieties, including the most expensive ones. Next to check is the perforations. You need a perforation gauge to do it. You can print one or buy one. You don't count perforations or use a ruler. Then you will need to check watermarks. If you are interested in stamps, get a Scott specialized catalog for US Stamps. Beyond the online references, the Scott catalog is where to start.
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   03:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome
This link will help you understand which variety of this stamp design you might have
http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/was...d32perf.html
This website also has a large amount of content which you will need to know as you explore the hobby.
Don
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05