Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sc# 3520 Atlas Statue With Uneven Letters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 774Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
172 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mstocky2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an interesting effect due to a minor color shift. Notice the letters in "PRESORTED" on the right stamp compared to the more typical letters on the left. Some of the letters (E, S & D) appear stretched making them much taller than the others.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1194 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its different looking. Is that a little bit of white showing above the black angle at base too, caused by the shift?

I find it funny that they would not use the word standard under presorted if that is what is meant by std. Just that the letters - std - stamp transmitted disease? - just kidding; have another undesirous implication.

Mike
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2721 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
caused by a minor color misregistration
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7558 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about that. I wonder if it's a counterfeit.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6288 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The red and orange being shifted up created the negative space/white areas to create the elongated letters, so it makes sense.

I think it is genuine, but I would love to see a close up of the "ES" area of PRESORT.
Pillar Of The Community
3804 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no doubt these are genuine, with slight ink misregistration. Looking through 7 covers bearing 3520, I find these 2, note the broken vertical bar of the T in Presorted:

And looking through 13 covers bearing 3770 (the 2003-dated version), I found at least 4 with misregistrations including these 2:

My apologies for the white background, but they are all on cover!
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a closeup. There are a couple of minor color misregistrations with the key one being the black ink. The black is shifted down. This can be seen by looking the bottom edge of the black triangle as well as the white, actually yellow gap above the black triangl. The gap is caused by the shift. With the black shifted down the "ES" is elongated. The black shifted down also causes the "TE" in "TED" to appear shortened as well. As John points out the broken letters due to misregistrations are fairly common on this issue and 3770 as well. I have numerous examples of the broken letters. This one was more unusual and I thought interesting in the way the misregistration manifested on the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6288 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I can't think of another minor color shift where something quite this odd occurs.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/28/2019 10:10 am
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mstocky2 -

I have several copies that look just like your stamp. As others have said, this is quite common and was discovered when this stamp was first issued, as it was written about in Linn's Stamp News many years ago.

Linus
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2721 Posts
Posted 05/29/2019   01:40 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

more dramatic example

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05