Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Diary Of A Wannabe Worldwide Collector

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 90 / Views: 6,640Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where do you get the templates from? Do you make them?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
270 Posts
Posted 04/13/2020   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where do you get the templates from? Do you make them?

Yes I design and make them myself using an old version of MS Publisher.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
Posted 04/13/2020   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. I may eventually do something like these when I'm further in my collection. But o do like my stockbook type sheets.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
270 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more pages from 1967, including the pre-decimal Machins.

Incidentally, for those old enough to remember, L S Lowry (the artist of one of the paintings stamps) was the subject of the 1978 Brian and Michael one-hit wonder 'Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs'which I've had as an earworm for the past hour since mounting the stamp :)

Valued Member
United Kingdom
270 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to let everyone who follows this thread know, I have been spending time soaking, sorting and planning the pages for the Mahins, which is turning ou to be quit a long-winded process :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2805 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   06:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will be interesting to see how you tackle the decimal Machins. I had plans on creating custom pages but still deciding to organize. I just do not want to follow SG Concise. To commit to pages. you need to draw a line on what you collect.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/17/2020 06:07 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
270 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not too keen on how SG Concise has the decimal Machins listed, it seems to be a tad all over he place. I know I want o sort and mount by face value rather than cat number, but as you say, it's deciding where to draw the line on what to collect as Machins could potentially be a full-time hobby in themselves.

I did purchase the adminware 'Novice' pages as a guide, but I'm starting to think that even the that might be a bridge too far, I do want more than just one of each colour and denomination though as I am quite intrigued by the phosphor tagging...hmm decisions, decisions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4774 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maiden----Stamp collecting is about making decisions, you will most likely never get to a place to not make decisions ,the worst thing is having someone else make the decisions for you .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The decision I made was to end my GB collection when we exchanged £sd for Bank of Toytown currency. It's saved me from a world of Machin misery.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1478 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore- what approach are you thinking to implement if not by using the SG Concise for Machins?

Geoff- Am I incorrect, or were there relatively few pence/pound Machin issues? Or am I thinking of predecimal Machins?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2805 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The number of sterling (pre-decimal current is quite small and fixed. There are not going to be anymore. When it comes to decimals. there are many as it gets into perforations, se;f-adhesive, security. etc. You can organize by denomination, printer, chronological, etc. You have the double heads, etc.

I have all mine on Vario pages sorted by more or less demonination in groups (pre-decimal, standard perfs (Concise X). elliptical perfs (Concise Y), security (U), etc. There is lot of overlap chronologically and not sure my final organization hence Vario pages.

Al
Edited by angore - 05/17/2020 3:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae - there's bascially one group of pre-decimal Machins, with the higher values engraved. I remember their coming out, and thinking "That's a nice change". Little did I think they'd still be with us fifty years on!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
270 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well after several weeks of soaking, sorting and changing my mind several times about what limits to set on the decimal Machins, I've finally started to put some pages together.

If I'd done this part of the project during the winter months when it gets dark early, it would have been easier to identify phosphors with my uv lamp rather than being hunched under a dark blanket to do it

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
267 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
270 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Next batch of Machins mounted. The 5p 'Browns' really were hard work, but got there in the end.

Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 90 / Views: 6,640Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05