Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Safe Way To Remove Stamps From This Type Of Safe Album Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2343 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What is the safe way to remove stamps from this type of SAFE album page. The clear pockets attached to the page are extremely tight fitting and difficult to get tongs under the clear to grasp the stamp.

I have never seen this type stamp mount method I must not be grasping something obvious.

Send note to Staff
Al

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4062 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   09:56 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lindner albums used to use this design. It's really awkward. Very slowly with tweezers to avoid damaging the stamp. In the odd case, I tore the covering material to get the stamp out safely.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They look like split-back mounts that are adhered to the page at top and bottom. Can't see any other way than to try to slide the stamps out (except cutting the mount).

And what are those stamps? Likes like somebody made black and white copies, then trimmed to look imperforate.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2343 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trainwreck, the stamps have been removed. You are seeing the printed image on the page. They put black borders around images to emphasize the perf visibility.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/31/2019 10:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1718 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   10:27 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lindner and Safe both used this format until the mid 70's. Stamps were to be inserted into pockets built into the page. You still can see some of these offered used on eBay. They do not holdup well over time. After several years a lot of the pages wrinkle and bulge.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the stamps been removed

OK, I'm on the same page as the rest of the world now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1140 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In years past, I've used single stamp mounts and have encountered them in collections I've bought. What I've done is carefully use tongs to slit a side of the mount. The stamp(s) comes out easily. Just did that with a couple stamps last night as I'm re-mounting my early USA air mail collection.
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 06/01/2019   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many collectors don't use stamp hinges because they can damage stamps, but mounts can do that, too. If they make it nearly impossible to get the stamps out of the mount, you have to get a bit aggressive with them. If these are the old individual vinyl mounts (or whatever they're made of), good luck getting the stamps out.

My approach to removing stamps from any mount is to do whatever is necessary to save the stamp. That often includes a box cutter, razor blade, or penknife to cut the mount open. I ruin a lot of album pages this way, but albums can be replaced. I just throw away the damaged pages and mount the stamps in a more responsible way on my own new pages -- sometimes even with hinges (!) since removing a stamp mounted with a properly-used hinge is very easy and generally doesn't harm a used stamp.

These mounts I'd experiment with to see if tweezers would work. But, if not, out would come the sharp knife, and I'd slice them open. You wouldn't want to reuse pages like this, anyway, I assume.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2343 Posts
Posted 06/02/2019   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I encountered this design my first reaction was I must be doing something wrong but after the feedback it is not a very good design and not sure who would even want this.

The album had other pages where stamps were in pockets on clear plastic sheets that interleave with printed sheets to provide a background. A more interesting design.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They used to say "Never buy a car made on Monday." For collectors, I'd say "Never buy an untried way of mounting stamps" at least until others have had some time to see how it works. That was the story with Crystal Mounts, H.E. Harris & Company's worst idea ever. Some modern mounts seem to hold onto stamps too tightly for my taste and I'm always worried they'll pull off the bottom perfs when I try to remove a stamp. Some mounts aren't attached to the page very well. Scott used mounts on their early hingeless albums a few decades ago which were perfectly good mounts, but the glue they used to attach the mounts to the page leaked through to the other side and made all the pages look pretty bad. Some Marini (Italian) hingeless mounts are so lightly attached that sooner or later they fall off the page. I've never understood the German enthusiasm for heavy vinyl pages as a way to hold stamps. Do Germans just have a thing for vinyl . . . ?
Edited by DrewM - 06/13/2019 01:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4062 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   01:59 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not wild about the Lindner/Safe plastic sheets on the pages, but they allow you to see the rear of the stamp, and to hinge a used copy on the printed page beneath.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05