Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Grandfather's Schaubek Sweden Stamp Album Nr. 806 S (1855-1960)

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
578 Posts
Posted 06/03/2019   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I'm curious as to how you think Geoff is right about the auction price of 200 when earlier the four stamps or so you mentioned totaled over 200 lol"

Not the one who commented, but it would seem in the first case that he was referring to catalogue prices, and in the second to what the album would actually sell for. Stamps sell for only a fraction of their catalogue price, depending on condition, often less than half. Collections can sell for an even lower fraction of the total catalogue price of all the stamps, as little as 10-20% in some cases.

It's a very nice album and those are good stamps (hard to tell without examining them, of course). Why not hold onto it and perhaps add more? Make it a family heirloom and take care of it. I would do that . . . . or I'd be happy to take care of it for you, if that would help! For your family's sake, of course.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by DrewM - 06/03/2019 2:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 06/03/2019   2:54 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, but catalogues and the real world are two different places ... which is good, otherwise I shouldn't have many stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1127 Posts
Posted 06/03/2019   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same with me Geoff.

DrewM is right of course - trying to get full catalogue price on just about any stamp is a huge ask. As a rule, the stamp has to be above exceptional for this to happen.
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 06/03/2019 5:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread, similar one that appears over and over about catalogue values and cash values. One that I learned many years ago, that it is a hobby and passtime and like all collectables have to be wanted by the buyer to have any value.

Funny how stamp collecting is somewhat similar to playing with monopoly money. Generalized stamp collectors, or accumulators add up catalogue values and think their stamps are worth thousands.

Then they put them up for sale and if they are lucky enough to find a buyer they get a small fraction of catalogue after commissions and expenses and end up with almost nothing. Partly because most collectors already hve many extras of the same and might obtain a couple he truly needs. Imagine trying to buy a loaf of bread and a quart of milk with monopoly money. It is funny.

If by chance you spent some real coin buying a few good items and wait 30 years or you happen upon a scarcity, congratulations; you won't win the lottery but you may be able to buy a few of the staples you need.
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/04/2019 11:51 am
Learn More...
6784 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   12:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantasy catalog values and eBay marketing efforts both lead people into thinking that they are good buyers who are making wise purchases.

But the truth is that education and experience are what leads a person to make wise purchases.

Don
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05