Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited American Revolution Bicentennial Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Nocturnus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have inherited a set of "American Revolution Bicentennial First Day Cover Collection" stamps. These appear to have been produced by the Franklin Mint in 1976.

I have at least 12 so far. Issues appear to come from Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bali, and others. Only one set was opened. I opened a second envelope containing four more, just because I wasn't sure what was in it. There are several more envelopes that are unopened. All of these are in new condition.

I've included photos of a few examples.

I'm finding little or no reference to them anywhere online. Is anyone familiar with these?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4155 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   12:16 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid that productions of this kind were designed to separate people - often not stamp collectors - from their money. Minimal financial value. Here's an optimistic offer on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-Bicen...AOSwQqdatnaq
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are philatelic collectibles created for persons who are not stamp collectors. They are nice looking and sold for a hefty premium. Unfortunately, they are nearly unsaleable.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nocturnus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both, GeoffHa and Germania. I thought what you are telling me would likely be the case. I appreciate the information!
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're really cool. I collect US Bicentennial stuff. Love'em. But even if I was actively looking for stuff, if it were $10 plus shipping for the whole lot, I would be hesitant.

If you're not going to collect yourself, then find a stamp collector...preferably a young one...and give them as a gift....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1555 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always considered the Bicentennial Era to be the twilight of USA stamp collecting. Interest in collecting was enjoying a resurgence and the stamps themselves were pretty nice. It was all downhill from this point.

Jack Kelley
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05