Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Amazing Old Time One Owner US Collection Sale Upcoming At Cherrystone

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 166 / Views: 9,178Next Topic
Page: of 12
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
465 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that Queen Elizabeth has a complete set of Hamilton postmaster provisionals, and all of the British Guiana cottonreels too, but some of those stamps are pretty beat up. Such a shame, hers could have been an awesome collection if she was just a little more quality-conscious.

Ever seen the condition of some of the "easily acquired" stamps in the Tapling or the old Count Ferrary collection? Tears, thins, ragged perfs, and creases all over the place. Those were great collections because of the stuff in them that wasn't common; nobody really cares that the odd common (or less-scarce) stamp was messy, because common stamps are common.

If you simply disagree about the superlative language the auction catalogue uses, well, auction houses tend to do that, especially with name sales. I don't think anybody is interested in this particular sale because of the condition of the dollar-value Columbians -- at least, unless you're bidding on the balance lot, in which case you're going to get a good close look anyway. The rest of the stamps here? Pretty sweet, actually. There's a lot of good material here.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You aren't actually going to compare this collection with the Ferrari Collection???????? They are not even on the same planet. There are 45 volumes of photos of the Ferrari collection. Each volume has about 200-250 photos of complete pages from his worldwide collection. He sometimes bought forgeries, but the overall condition of his collection puts this one to shame.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
465 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You aren't actually going to compare this collection with the Ferrari Collection????????

In the sense that both contain multiple world-class rarities? Sure I will. It's far less impressive as a single-country collection with rarities throughout, of course, instead of a worldwide collection with rarities throughout, but as a US collection it is excellent. I'm a bit gobsmacked anyone would disagree.

It's Ferrary, not Ferrari. His collection was astonishing in both breadth and depth, but he was not particularly discriminating on condition, at least by modern standards -- if it was a stamp he didn't have, he purchased it, even with faults. (He got burned multiple times buying bogus "discoveries" as well as forgeries, as you note.) I expect that's more or less what this collector did, too -- he bought rare or expensive stamps as they became available to him, and did not (or seldom did) upgrade. When he had the money for the really tough stamps, the condition got better (at least as good as was reasonably obtainable).

I'd rather have sound VF stamps over lesser examples, of course, but I'll take VG/F rarities over VF/XF commons any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I and many other people on this board might have a nicer looking set of Columbians than this guy did, but the inverts and grills and other rare nuggets do put this collection in another realm.

And I really think the problem is overstated. The condition of most of the lotted items is not bad, and with recent PF certs even subtle faults are going to be noted. This guy's C3a is F/VF OG, there are only a handful better than that. The 3X1 is well above average despite the noted shallow creases. The #2 unused is missing gum (usual) and has ragged margins, but it's got great color and a scarce double transfer. The #121b is a beautiful copy, one of only three sound examples. And so on. A collection with stamps like that is world-class.

No, it's not actually as good as Bill Gross's or Count Ferrary's or Queen Elizabeth's collection, but if that's the yardstick practically nobody has a great stamp collection. "Some obtainable stamps need upgrading" is a minor problem compared to "missing many unobtainable stamps".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
579 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev collector: if the New Amsterdam collection is such a mundane collection, why don't you show us your copies of the rarities we are all salivating over so we can see what a really good collection should look like?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I would love to see Revcollector's Columbians.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect Columbians. But I have some unlisted and previously unknown double transfers that are much scarcer then any of them. They won't have the catalog or real dollar value of the high value Columbians, but they sure are a lot harder to find.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The deliberate lack of comprehension of what I have said here is truly amazing. This has nothing to do with what I have or don't have. I don't have even 5% of the money this collector had to spend. If I did that collection would look better then this one. Probably different, but better. Same is true for several others here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do have the triple transfer of the 2 cent Columbian. No doubt you think it's too common to bother with.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1612 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revcollector, you mentioned Dumont Stamp Company in the context of "growing up in NYC." I too grew up there, in Queens. I started out mainly attending the NY-Laguardia bourse which I believe was held at the Courtyard by the airport. Later, I used to love the shows held at Javitz and once or twice attended the Westchester show.

What part of town are you from?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Born in Brooklyn, grew up in Queens and later Manhattan.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been reading this entertaining thread with both amusement and disdain. It appears that there are many who can appreciate what this collector accomplished, taking a U.S. collection of definitive postage stamps to near-completion. But then there are a few, who either out of jealousy or ignorance, snub this as a collection of "seconds" riddled with flawed conditioned stamps. No, these stamps are not all GEMS, because for the bulk of the years that this collector was assembling his collection, there was not the fixation for perfection prevalent in today's market. This is, IMHO, "a collector's collection", assembled by someone who took pride in completion, but while truly enjoying the journey along the way. In the realms of philately, this is one of the most complete U.S pre-WW II collections EVER assembled; I can only dream that my collection would ever come remotely close to this, and I for one have the upmost respect for what this collector accomplished. I have to believe that the annals of time will also remember his philatelic legacy, and in a favorable light.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect much like this guy. I like the journey. I remember where I got each stamp I purchased. There's a memory attached to it and it's not about a pristine collection or what I can sell it for later. I collect for enjoyment.

If revcollector's enjoyment of collecting stamps rests on getting the best of the best - that's how he collects. I think many of us can appreciate this collection because we collect the same way this guy probably did. In my opinion, it's a great collection and one I would be very proud of!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It amazes me how people do not seem to understand what I am saying. NOTHING was said about only collecting "the best of the best". No one is talking about GEMS here, only NICE, SOUND stamps. You know, the ones that would grade 80-85 if anyone bothered to grade them. And NOTHING was said about the group of true rarities which almost never come up at auction and must be collected as they exist. And NOTHING was said about the journey itself. My issue is with calling this collection "remarkable" or "amazing". Except for that group of genuine rarities, one can find collections very similar to this one at auction several times a year on SAN as individual lots with estimates of $15,000 or $20,000 or $25,000. And someone probably enjoyed those too. I'm all for enjoyment. But if you have the money to spend, why not plant a flower instead of merely filling in a hole? And for sure I am not jealous, I collect in a very different direction and there was nothing in this collection to fit any of mine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
579 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev: why don't you do everybody a favor including yourself and stop commenting on this thread. You are making yourself look silly. You clearly have no clue as to what others are saying because you are too focused on teaching us ignorant people what you know about philately. Your statement about grading is emblematic of your thinking. Apparently to the assembler of the New Amsterdam collection, grading was not the most important attribute. I myself think grading has been disastrous for the hobby of stamp collecting because it has inserted an artificial and arbitrary measurement to supplant in importance the traditional goals of completeness and rarity. I could understand PSE, maybe thinking that in a hobby with a dying collector base in the US, that maybe injecting a new game, such as grading, could stimulate additional or new income in sales when the number of traditional certs was dropping. Certainly the auction houses have gone for this in a big way. Let's recertify all stamps before going to auction and while we are at it let's cherry pick those that we think can get a grade of 95 or better and get them graded—that seems to be the new game in town.

But I don't expect you, fixated as you are on knocking this man's collection down, in yes, a very snobbish and condescending way, to ever understand this, or the mentality of half to three quarters if not more of all members of this board. It is an attitude like yours that guarantees the further decline of this hobby in the US for all except the super wealthy dealing at the apex and those mesmerized by the grading game like those speculating in stocks. If I was a young person considering this hobby, your hypercritical attitude would turn me off in an instant.

Sorry, i'm Just tired of hearing your rant.

Edited by funcitypapa - 06/11/2019 10:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever. Enjoy your reperfs.
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 166 / Views: 9,178Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05