Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Amazing Old Time One Owner Us Collection Sale Upcoming At Cherrystone

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there was nothing in that collection that I could use, I'm not sure I could call myself a stamp collector? But then I can find any stamp interesting! To me it's a beautiful collection of many stamps I would love to have! But then again I am a (cursed/blessed?) WW collector and am easily amused with almost any stamp I don't have, or have for that mater. My biggest problem with stamps is there is too many of them that I want and many are just a click away, one thing for sure though I will always have a supply of stamps to go through when my stamp budget is big or small! It sure is a collection I was ready to build when I started!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The older certs are fascinating. Many have PF Certs from the early 1950's - 1960. PF cert #686 from 1947 for the 193 was their first issued for that stamp. There are also APS Board of Examiners certs dated 1943-1946 (the PF was founded in March 1945). I'm sure the PF was quite pleased grabbing the collection.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the interesting things about the very old PF certs is that they are often signed by the entire expert committee, not just the chairman as became the standard later on. I have three extremely early certs, for a Scott 60, Scott 200 and a 1946 cert for an unused 272a. The first two certs were numbered #200 or less. One was signed by Lichtenstein and the other by Theodore Steinway as chairman along with 5 other luminaries of the field.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected: the earliest PF cert I have is #201 from 1946 signed by Lichtenstein, Ewing and Steinway. The Scott 200 is cert 475 and the Scott 60 is 3243 from 1951
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5826 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have two from the APS from January 1935 (576) and March 1935 (591) signed by Eugene Costales as chairman, J.M. Bartels, and George Sloane. One for a 741 block of six imperf vertically, and one for a Wisconsin block of 8 imperf horizontally. Both genuine.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2941 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1142 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev those sound like amazing pieces. Any chance I could persuade you to post some images?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4071 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   09:53 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember seeing a stamp in a Somerset Stamp Auctions sale that actually carried an RPSL certificate from the 1890s.
Edited by GeoffHa - 06/12/2019 09:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5826 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, these certs did not come with images, only written descriptions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1142 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well of course I'd much rather see the stamps!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5826 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So would I. Those three were considered giants in their day, so viewing specific items they expertized would be great.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5826 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For many years George Sloane had a column in Stamps Magazine; they have been collected into a book called appropriately enough, "Sloane's Column". Well worth obtaining.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5826 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For people who enjoy amazing collections with great rarities, here is one:

https://stampauctionnetwork.com//HA/ha3026.cfm
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect postal history and it appears that the vast bulk of the collection you refer to seems to be covers. Aren't the condition of covers, as opposed to individual stamps, given greater latitude since the usage, markings, cancellations, and route, often as important or more important sometimes, than the adhesives themselves? Same is true for historical manuscripts. Condition is partially forgiven if the date, signer are right.(think revolutionary war discharges signed by geo Washington)
Edited by funcitypapa - 06/13/2019 08:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5826 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect this type of postal history either, but it's still amazing. The first lot is the only example of 1X2 known, on or off cover.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05