Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Amazing Old Time One Owner Us Collection Sale Upcoming At Cherrystone

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion and experience with auctions of all kinds over a number of years, those who preauction are the loudest denigrators of the material being offered are usually, when the lot is called, the first in line to bid if the price is right.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funcitypapa - aligns with my observations too. They believe by denigrating the material it will reduce interest and allow them to sweep in and get something on the cheap.

I tend to think a lot of this self interest manipulative behavior goes on in the hobby and the world itself. It's not a great look.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3109 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a reminder to bidders that this sale requires its own singular registration.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5914 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will not be bidding on anything in this sale, and if I was I wouldn't bother with such a bush league approach. People might wish to look at the realizations for the sale I pointed out, however. As I said, a great collection which brought high prices.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/ha/ha3026.cfm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1222 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to me that the two collections aren't really comparable. One is mainly covers, the other mainly stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3109 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5914 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are comparable in that both have a number of serious rarities that are seldom offered. Both also have a seven figure item.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5914 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you were looking in the mirror when you thought of the glue factory nonsense, since you and others are the ones who keep restarting this.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3109 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RISMoney and Funcitypapa - I am critical of parts of the collection, but intend to bid on those items which I find very rare. There are so many other people who will be bidding on this stuff than read this form, I find your idea that some believe "denigrating the material it will reduce interest and allow them to sweep in and get something on the cheap" absurd.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BobinRye: let's try and be accurate as to who said what. Whereas I did say that those who denigrate items preauction often are the first in line to bid on such items I did not say that they do this to reduce interest in the hopes of getting a bargain. That was said by another poster. However, I agree with that poster. Whether you think that strategy is effective or not, it happens every day. To believe otherwise is naive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5914 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers who do that with any regularity are well known and usually ignored. Same with collectors. Serious bidders usually use their own judgement or have specific individuals to ask opinions of.
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FunCityPapa - so sad feeling for the people who actually believe denigrating someone else's collection will make the same material more affordable to them in an open, well advertised auction. but hey, some people are also unscrupulous about how they market their own stamps - see eBay for countless examples. Yes, many of the stamps in the New Amsterdam collection are far from the best examples of their issue, but the focus will be on the rarities.
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember going to a local auction a year or so ago, where they sold trinkets and everything from bad art to appliances. I vividly recall a guy standing next to me, who said look at this thing, who would eat anything out of this used toaster oven. I casually agreed and thought nothing of it, as I didn't need/want a toaster. When the toaster lot came up, sure enough this same guy bought the toaster for like $7. I spoke to him after the auction, and was like - you're going to eat bread out of this thing? he was like no-way, but I could probably fetch $15-20 for it. You tell me, his motivations for the preview convo.

BobInRye - consider this. Say Linn's speaks of the Blue Boy auction and other notable lots in their mag. This then provides, lets call it positive advertising. Perhaps the readership of Linn's is in the thousands. Maybe it drew some folks toward the auction. Now, why can't the opposite happen?

This forum has a reach of thousands of members, and perhaps thousands more "outside" readers. The amount of bidders on any single lot, can often be in the low single digits. To think this pool of bidders cannot be influenced by online words, is the absurd part. Social media advertising would not even be a thing if this were false. Hearts and minds can be "tweaked" with every word put out there.

Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't believe this thread is 8 pages already.

Can't imagine what you guys will be arguing about on page 16???

Gotta love stamp collectors...
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05