Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Transcontinental Railroad Suprise (To Me)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1092 Posts
Posted 06/08/2019   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PoStat4evR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Linn's a few issues ago, mentioned that during the first day issue event of the Transcontinental RR issue (3 stamps), there was a souvenier booklet sold at the Frist Day site!
Not having attended, I researched it further. You can purchse this special commenorative boxed book set through the USPS Philatelic office.
The set consists of a Nice box that it comes in, a book on the RR at that time, one sheet of the stamp issue, and 6 proof color sheets that went to make up the full color issued version, and a Certificate of Authenticity of the proof sets.

Price is up there at $79.95, but for the collector that needs more this is a no brainer purchase. USPS Item number 570429.

I reccomend it (being a train freak and a stamp collector) as a sound purchase. There aren't a lot of these available, so go for it.
If you don't like it, don't blame me, I do.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2007 Posts
Posted 06/08/2019   10:08 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"There aren't a lot of these available"

Have they said how many? I thought they were supposed to be getting out of the limited edition business.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1092 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know. but there is 1 less available now that I have one. I would imagine that in the next USPS quarterly sales booklet, they might list this item. Yes, one can go down to the PO and get a sheet of the stamp, but if you want the whole shabang, call KC.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PoStat4evR,

I'm a train freak too but am going to take a pass on this one. Look at past pricing history on these so called USPS "collectables".

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2648 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   6:44 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't wish to step on toes and hijack this thread, but wasn't sure where best to share this FDC card, courtesy a railfan I know who went out to Utah for the Big Boy/Spike activities.

Notice, though, it was not from Promontory Summit (84307) but Ogden UT (84403). I am not familiar with the area and need to ask him why he chose that specific PO.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2648 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   7:01 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1092 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells250: My guess is that Ogden is the closest large PO that could handle this event. There is NOT a lot of stuff out there in the fool Great Salt Lake that could act as a PO! So, Ogden wins "cause it is closest" ! Just my theory.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2648 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   7:14 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AHA! Now that we know that, I took a WikiPeek:

"Ogden is the closest sizable city to the Golden Spike location at Promontory Summit, Utah, where the First Transcontinental Railroad was joined in 1869. It was known as a major passenger railroad junction owing to its location along major east–west and north–south routes, prompting the local chamber of commerce to adopt the motto, 'You can't get anywhere without coming to Ogden'."

ALSO: https://web.archive.org/web/20130307014543/http://www.ogdencity.com/en/about_o...history.aspx
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2648 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Ogden has STRANGE borders! Military related? Looks like a railfan's dream, too!

Edited by Nells250 - 06/16/2019 8:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4500 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   7:31 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I don't advocate these overpriced collectibles unless you can find them on the third-party market (i.e., don't be the first person to buy it, be the second or third and let someone else take the retail hit), I wholeheartedly recommend the stamps themselves.

I don't buy many new issues, as I always have an overflow of discount postage. Those that I do purchase are of vintage designs that align with my appreciation of collectibles. For example, I love the Classics Forever sheets.

I wasn't planning to buy these train stamps, but when I was at the post office on Friday, the clerk had sheets of these out on the counter for people to look at and I was surprised how they look compared to the USPS renderings. What the stock images fail to convey is the embossed gold file of the frames. They really make the vintage look "pop". They definitely have that old west feel to them.

I took some cellphone pics to try and capture the reflective nature of the foil. Sorry for the glare; comes with the territory:

United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/22/2019   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ezeta63 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those stamps are awfully beautiful compared to most, there is a guy on eBay selling them in sets of 3 for anyone interested, search "best stamps international"
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05