Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Stamps Unused?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

120 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought these stamps that came in a "lot", but I can't tell if they are new or used? They look like they were ripped off an envelope or stuck to some kind of paper. They don't have any cancellation marks, but I do see a small liquid stain on them. Assuming they are unused, does the liquid stain and overall rough condition of these stamps invalidate their use for postage? How bad does a stamp have to look before it's considered invalid for postage use?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
660 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say they are definitely unused. Go ahead and use them for postage. I have several like this that were stuck inside an envelope. I had to wet the outside of the envelope to get the stamps to loosen up so I could remove them. Of course that ruined the gum and left stains. But the stamps are unused so I'll kust use them for postage.

Dave M.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
756 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Torin, it looks as though your stamps have seen previous postal service on a parcel. It is rather hard to tell on the top block as you did not show a back picture. That said you can see what looks like an erased or light cancellation line extending straight down from the hand of the discus thrower on the top left stamp to just in front of the bow of archer on second stamp. As well there is a line from the heel of the high jumper extending backwards at an angle.

The second strip has definately been cancelled as evidenced by cancellation marks on all three stamps - lines downward in front of discuss throwers as well as numbering evident on the archer stamp.

A word of caution - it is illegal and punishable by law to reuse or attempt to reuse uncancelled postage which has already done it's postal duty. Is it worth the cost?
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/09/2019 10:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3276 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with no1philatelist. Cancellation is visible.
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1 Philatelist: Here is a picture of the back of the block from one of the previous pictures.

Take a look at this Elvis stamp. The front looks normal, but the back has no gum but instead is all white, when normally these stamps had a profound yellow gum.

I will throw away the above stamps and learn not to buy hinged stamps or blocks without asking for detailed photos.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ezeta63 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Often times the stamps are used but they somehow don't get cancelled, I have quite a few stamps like this. For me it hardly matters as long as the stamps look good, and I need them for my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
756 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Torin, they are just used stamps, and as Ezeta63 states as long as they are not torn, thinned or damaged they can be put into a collection. Yes the Elvis one probably lost its gum after being soaked free of the envelope, unfortunately it lost a few perfs. Still very presentable as a space filler until you get a better one.
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a newbie question and it's not facetious. If someone is selling unused blocks or individual unused non-self-adhesive postage stamps, how can one guarantee they are truly unused if there are no cancellation marks? Will a truly unused gummed stamp always lay flat and have perfect gum? How can I as a consumer and collector ensure that the blocks or individual stamps I am buying are truly unused?

Since the motto of this website is "Education is the key to collector success!", I thought I would ask to get educated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1910 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but you can't guarantee that you are getting uncancelled stamps when you are buying no gum stamps. There is no magic clue. You can find out after you've bought something without gum by careful examination (as was done here) including putting stamps under UV/black light. Very weak or purposely bleached out cancels can then be seen.

People putting together no gum lots are probably not checking what they get themselves; they're just counting face value.
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about gummed stamps? If an unscrupulous seller were to remove an un-cancelled gummed stamp from an envelope that has been through the postal system and try to pass it off as unused, would there be obvious signs on the gum or stamp that it has been through the postal system?

If someone is selling an individual stamp or a block, should I ask for a photo of the gum on the back to make sure it's perfect and would that guarantee that I am purchasing an unused stamp?
Edited by Torin - 06/17/2019 4:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
654 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what you are trying to ask, but the simple way I look at it is:

No gum is used. (Unless issued with no gum, then have to look for cancel)

Full gum, no cancel, no hinge is unused. Mint Never hinged, post office fresh

In other word not post office fresh - used

Post office fresh unused.
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will use photos as an example of what I'm trying to ask. I just unhinged a 22c Happy Birthday stamp shown in the photo below from #2267-74 1987 22c Special Occasions booklet. Based on the photos, how can you all determine the stamp is un-cancelled and never used?

I am concerned about buying individual stamps and blocks that someone claims are unused but in reality have been through the postal system, but didn't get cancelled and the seller removed it from the envelope and is selling it as unused. If a seller does this, will the gum change color, get torn, the stamp not lay flat etc.? How is newbie collector supposed to detect this and not get scammed?

Edited by Torin - 06/17/2019 7:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6570 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The answer is simple. Usually you can not tell from photo's if a stamp has been used but not cancelled.
If the seller does not mention this and called them unused I would send them back

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 06/17/2019 7:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
654 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't unhinge a booklet stamp as they were not hinged in a booklet.

I don't think you really want to listen to any one on these boards and many will not reply any more.

No point discussing this any further.
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dutchman1948: I apologize if I didn't use the proper terminology. In #2267-74 1987 22c Special Occasions booklet, there are 10 stamps, and I removed one from the booklet. I thought that was known as unhinging.

Petert4522: Thank you. I guess I won't be buying individual stamps or blocks for postage purposes since one can't tell from photos if the stamp(s) has been used but not cancelled.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05